• In the Spotlight:

Have you ever felt dissatisfied with your lack of diagnosis at the hospital/doctor's office?

As some of you may know, Saturday evening I took my son to the ER are these mysterious spots on this arm. They were large and some were almost dime-sized and popped up out of no where. We took him in, he had a temp of 101.1, and we saw three doctors. No one really told us anything. All they said was that it looked like either some kind of bug bight, allergic reaction, or something "viral". They told us to give him Tylenol and to run Calamine lotion on the spots. I tried to question further, but no one seemed worried. I left thinking.."Well, I figured that out. Bug bites, allergies, or a something viral"? No Sh*t. I mean, what if it had been a bad allergic reaction, or something that could really harm him? No tests were done. I'm usually one to trust doctors, but I felt brushed off.

cont.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Health

• YES!! On father's day, my son decided to climb up a dresser. Normally my husband has everything bolted in the wall, but this was just taken from upstairs to replace a broken one in their room. The dresser toppled over on him and he hurt his hand. He was holding it against his body in a guarding method so I asked my husband to take him to the ER for an x-ray. The ER did an xray and said it was a soft tissue injury. The hand was not splinted. A few weeks later, we are outside and my son told me to get the ball out. Apparently the prior tenants used to shoot squirrels with airsoft guns and my son found a BB and stuck it in his ear. I asked my husband to take him to the ER to have it removed. Naturally it was traumatizing and my son did not tolerate it well. I think they should have sedated him, but while my son was resting, my husband felt a deformity where the dresser fell on his hand. My son had an undiagnosed hand fracture.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:26 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• When in doubt, get a second opinion, stand your ground until you get that second opinion. My son was sick with a high fever when he was little. I took him to the ER and an ear nose throat specialist looked at him and said, eh he's teething give him ibuprofen. Well I took him home knowing the guy was wrong, treated the fever. The next day I took him directly to his regular doctor and waited to be seen. I trust my gut. If I feel they are giving me the run around you can bet that I am going to get an answer that fits the situation as best as I feel it should. Hope your son feels better soon.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 12:29 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I used to feel that way all the time, until I stopped seeing typical MD's. I love my holistic and internal medicine docs and my midwife. I never leave without answers anymore.

I hope your son feels better soon!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:26 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• ya, i trust my insticts over drs most the time. i got biopsies done and my dr told me not to worry that they were abnormal. wtf?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Some doctors suck. it's pretty true. They decide what you have before they see you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• IMO, ER doctors are the worst for non life-threatening issues. I'll call my pedi first if I have a question. This is obviously a worst-case - but my best friend was having back pain. She went to the ER three times, and they treated her like she was a junkie trying to get pills. The last time, she wouldn't back down - long story short they ran a few tests and found that she had Cancer. She died last year.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• cont..

I took him to his pediatrician today and she said she actually kind of suspects chicken pox. Otherwise,a bug bite, but definitely not an allergic reaction. However, he isn't getting new ones, but the ones he has formed a little blister in the center. She's having me call daily with any updates, and if he changes slightly, I have to go in. The doctors in the ER told me when I asked "Should I take him to the doctor or bring him back if they spread", and he waved his hand away and said, "Nah". I just feel dissatisfied with that!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My instincts and own knowledge and personal research have served me much better than any mainstream doctor ever has ...
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 10, 2010