CoSleeping??

My DS is 5 months old. He has had a few health issues and it took us over 2 months to get him to sleep in his own bed ( pack n play right next to my side of the bed) He did good with that until I realized he was well enough to nurse at night in bed with me laying downg. Well I would fall asleep and he would just sleep right next to me. I lay on my side and he lays on his back head almost in my arm pit. Now he really wants to sleep in bed with me and will cry in his own bed. Is coSleeping really a bad habit to get into or is it ok? In a way I love it but then again it worries me. He also has a apnea monitor and I have noticed that when he sleeps with me it NEVER goes off as it does when he is sleeping alone in his bed. Ideas?? If you co sleep/slept how long did you do it and how hard was it to get them in their own bed?

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I co-slept with my daughter for most of the first year of her life. She transitioned fine to sleeping by herself, it just took a few nights of her falling asleep with one of us nearby so she knew she wasn't alone. I don't think it's a bad thing, and from what I've read online and in books and from other mothers, it can actually be beneficial for the baby to sleep with you if he or she has a breathing problem.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• There are many articles that tell you the benefits of cosleeping. I would say go ahead and co sleep. It is such a wonderful bonding experience for Mother and Child not to mention that if you breastfeed it is so much easier.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 12:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Me, my daughter, & the hubby been co-sleeping since her 1st wk old. Shes now going to be 11mths old and we are still co-sleeping. I love it, excepts when she wakes me up by grabbing me or my hair lol.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• DS slept with us til he was 7 months and then I moved him to his crib. He had no problem with it.

DD is 5 months and still sleeping with us and I suspect she will have more of an issue with it. She is very clingy while sleeping!
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:03 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• we cosleep and it just sort of naturally happens for us that they work their way into their own bed.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:15 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Co-sleeping happened very naturally and worked very well for my family!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 1:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I am lazy so co sleeping works wonders for me :) it is not that hard to get them in their own bed at say 2 yrs old. The key as always is consistancy. You can also do a combo of co sleeping. I like to put my 9 month old to sleep in her own bed. When she wakes up I nurse her and depending on how sleepy I am will either just go back to sleep while nursing or put her back in her bed. Like right now she just stopped nursing and rolled over. I am going to put her back in her bed :) if you can get him in his bed great if not no harm done :)
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 3:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I cosleep and love it. Studies have shown that breastfed babies that cosleep regulate their own breathing, don't fall into too deep of a sleep for too long, and regulate body temperatures better than yheir crib sleeping peers. I like not having to get up and I love the snuggles. I can't imagine sleeping apart from a a baby. In most countries of the world, babies sleep with their mothers.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It is not a bad habit, it is good for both you and your baby. For me it was the best way to get a good night sleep with a breastfeeding baby. Don't worry about making a transition out of bed later. It will all work out just fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I co-slept with all four of my kids. They went into their own beds just fine by age three.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010