Does wic count your unborn child as a family member?

You know how they base your eligibility on income. Well we're borderline for a family of four, but I'm pregnant so if they count the baby we'll be a family of five and would qualify. Anyone know?

laura_lu5

Asked by laura_lu5 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Money & Work

• I think the child has to be born first.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• No...the baby has to be born first and then the baby will be added.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• In Alabama, they count it as another person, So you might want to check, it couldn't hurt!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 9:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• The baby counts. I just called. Thanks everyone.
    laura_lu5

Answer by laura_lu5 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• The fact that you're pregnant may give it a "push". Check with someone at the WIC office.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• If you want it for you or your children under 5 the baby does count, & if you're on it the baby will be when he/she is born (unless you breastfeed) they won't give you any formula at all then (even if you need to supplement some).
    amandac24

Answer by amandac24 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Here the baby counts and if you do breastfeed you will get extra and I did supplement and was given enough formula for that.So I guess it depends on your state.
    mom23ks

Answer by mom23ks at 9:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• In Texas, I think they do count an unborn child, WIC wants to know if you're going to breastfeed or formula feed. You'd have to call your local WIC office to find out if your unborn child is included before he/she are born or not.
    mamadee1971

Answer by mamadee1971 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It deos count . . . i get wic since i'm pg.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Yes and no at the same time here! You don't get anything extra if you are pregnant-just some help w/the necessities for helping you keep up on a healthy diet... Then once the baby is born(or in my case) we had to take the baby to the local WIC office here and "Show" them our baby-like I would lie about being pregnant-but I suppose there are some women out there........They were a little rude on that-since when I take a baby home-I want to go HOME and no where else! Especially to a dirty office.......And as far as I can tell most of those places-WIC office, Economic Assistance office, and other assistance entities of the Government are all Dirty!! Just was not where I wanted to be the day I got out of the hospital!! Oh well, no longer on it, all is well!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2008