Help dealing with family...what to do or how to decide??? Please help

My hubby and I got married just over 3 years ago and the week before my step dad fired him after promising him a high paying job and to eventually own the family business. Since then they (my parents) have treated us and our kids weird and dont come around often. When we are together they seem fake or put us down for the way things are for us right now financially and with raising our kids.
My sister had a baby 2 weeks before us. My parents drive 3 hours most weekends to spend it with them since even before she was born almost a year ago. My step dad hasnt seen or talked to my kids since Easter!!!! Almost 6 months!!!! He didnt didnt come to my sons 2nd birthday or my older sons graduation cuz he had a golf thing. He lives 30 mins. away!!!! It is like we dont exist. He was always mentally abusive growing up and still is. I think he should just not be in our life. Am I wrong to not care anymore? They just cause stress!!! help!!

Softwater

Asked by Softwater at 1:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think you are wrong not to care anymore or to be stressed out over it. They sound really rude and are playing favorites. You and your children should not have to be treated as second rate. It's their problem, they are the ones that are missing out on their grandchildren growing up. And if he is mentally abusive I wouldn't want him around my kids anyway. If you want to cut off contact with them I totally understand. It doesn't sound like the situation is going to change so why be stressed over it?
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:32 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with your family, but I think Sophia is right you should not have to be stressed for him, he seems rude and careless and if he still is metally abusive I think is a lot better for your childs to be away from him.
    Lizygoinghooray

Answer by Lizygoinghooray at 4:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I haven't spoken to my grandparents in over ten years...they raised me...and they did a lot of terrible things to me. and always seem to look down on me. I moved on with my life...and left then behind. you dont deserve to be treated like that
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 7:59 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thanks everyone...it is hard to be left with no family but at the same time just because they are my parents doesnt give them the right. They clearly dont remember what family really is. Thanks again for the support:)
    Softwater

Comment by Softwater (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Aug. 11, 2010