HOW CAN I GET MY 8 YEAR OLD SON TO STOP TALKING SO MUCH

evette311

Asked by evette311 at 1:59 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• hehe the isn't really much you can do there at that age that they want to know and ask alot of questions lol all you can really do is play the silence game haha say I'll give you a candie if you win the quiet game lol it always worked with my hubbys lill siss
    jmcwilly

Answer by jmcwilly at 2:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I wish I knew the answer to that question! Sometimes changing the subject can help. Asking him to respond in someone else's prespective can oddly put the breaks on while his mind is trying to wrap around what someone else would say. Usually, if I ask my son to do a chore, he'll leave the room and then I don't have to listen to him - but, I think he is still mumbling in the other room.. If I turn on the TV or tell him he can play video games, the house goes eerily quiet for a number of minutes. Hope this helps!
    Cosettie

Answer by Cosettie at 2:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well, I say enjoy it while you can. When they reach the tween teen age, they do not talk to you much.

He is trying to express himself, listen, you MIGHT really enjoy what he has to share. Keep an open mind.

AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Get a nintendo-ds the kid will be in game land 27-7 it rocks!
    ladyraven360

Answer by ladyraven360 at 2:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• How about a 6yr girl-and it is not questions it is babbling with stories and talking to dolls I know it her expressing herself, but ugh 24-7. Oh to Ladyraven she has a DS-I limit the amt of time theya re on there. My 9yr son has a friend with no limitation not letting that happen to my kids. sorry
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 8:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Some times I just have to say," My ears have a headache, can you quiet down for just a little while?" Sometime does and most times doesn't work. Good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Introduce him to my 7 year old girl LOL

We try to play the quiet game alot. My kids are so competitive. :)
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I set aside an hour just to listen. Nothing else, just sitting and talking together and listening to what they have to say. At other times, I just say "ok, enough" if it gets to be too much. It's good for children to know that they are listened to and it's also good for them to know that there are limits.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 10:34 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• ha ha thats my 7yr old son and good luck! Its who he is!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I wish you all the luck with this. Our oldest just turned 9 and she has been very chatty for years now. lol
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 11:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2010