How would you reform the welfare/govt assistance programs?

I think most of us agree that the Welfare system is in need of serious reforms. If you could change things, what would you do and why?

Jessy0419

Asked by Jessy0419 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• First I would set some sort of time limit as t how long you are allowed to recieve Welfare. I would say 90 days. Then you must have a job no matter what the pay in order to continue to recieve food stamps and WIC. I know then this brings up the issue of single parents and day care. The state, if these guidelines were in place, should provide some sort of assistance so these parents can work. Discounted daycare or something. I was s single parent and know just how hard this is. I was on food stamps and WIC. Now remarried, together we have 5 kids, we are military and we
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• cont.'.....qualify for WIC and food stamps. We only chose to recieve WIC as a supplement. We wanted to leave the food stamps for those who really need it, making minimum wage and such.
    Those who chose to make fraudulant claims should be ordered to repay every single penny they took. Those that separate so they can get the assistance but really have no intention of divorcing. That is just wrong. Or those who live on Welfare from generation to getneration instead of trying to make something of themselves. I know this doesn't really reform anything but it wouldn't hurt to look at all of this and try to make changes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• There is a ton of welfare fraud going on. I know in my area, any drug addict can get govt assistance and I think it's disgusting! Meanwhile, hardworking families who just can't make ends meet can't get a lick of help because they work! I think there should be drug testing in order to get govt assistance. After all, many jobs drug test so people can work, then their taxes go to pay for people to go do drugs! I know its a no win situation. If this were to happen the losers children would suffer. I really don't know what I would do, but I agree, SOMETHING needs to be done!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I would set a time limit up, require that you spend so many hours looking for a job and you have to prove that you applied for jobs and I would require drug testing, if you can't pass a drug test then your benefits would be cut off.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It is cheaper for the government to send people to college than to support them on welfare. I agree have a set time limit, I would give them 6months to find a job. Also I would make sure those on welfare do not smoke or waste their money on beer and such.

It is always funny to see the panhandlers out on the street asking for money yet they always seem to have a cigarette in their hand puffing away.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 10:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• When I received some state benefits over 4 years in Washington state there were limits and guidelines. I had no choice but to ask for assistance when I got out of my abusive marriage. At that time there was a rule that you could only receive cash assistance for a total of 24 months in a lifetime.  Childcare assistance was determined on the amount of income of your net income plus any other unearned income SSI, child support, etc.  In order to receive child care you had to work a minimum of 27 hours a week or be approved due to a schooling program. I received cash assistance for 3 months while I finished my AAS program. I then received food stamps for another 3 months. I paid a $50-$100 co-pay depending on the amount of child support I received. When I worked more my childcare was $150. Wasn't getting ahead just breaking even.

tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Sure the welfare system isn't perfect and many people take advantage of it. However, a few bad apples are spoiling it for those that really need it. Had it not been there for me I probably would still be stuck in an abusive marriage. How else was I going to support three children and I had little to no job skills? I think circumstances of why someone needs the assistance is very important. 

tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Get rid of all of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Time limits and drug tests
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 11:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• time limits drug test, make it available for those who wish to go to college,I think public servive jobs for those who can't find work like if you don't have a job you show up one day a week and they are taken out to clean the highway or cut grass at parks something to earn the money. others can watch the kids of those out working, drs and dentist should have to take a certain number of medical card patients. I think unannounced home inspections so if toy have extra people living there you are dropped. (v around here that is the biggest fraud, couples living together but not counting his income)
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2008