Am I a bad mother because my 6 month old is a little on the chubby side?

My baby is 6 months old got weighd at wic and they yelled at me and said he was obease and that im not doing it right, i think its just baby chub!

ladyraven360

Asked by ladyraven360 at 2:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What does he weigh? How much are you feeding him in a day?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Those wic ladies are bitches. Please discuss any concerns with your doctor. The ladies at wic need to make people into extreme cases to get more funding. The more extreme cases they get the more money they get. So you will find that when you are pregnant, you are either gaining too much or too little, never just right. You baby will always be too big or too little.
    Don't take everything they say to heart. Discuss weight and height with the baby's pediatrician. The doc is the expert.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:50 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Any mother who is trying her best to care for her child is not a bad mother. If you have any concern in regards to your child's weight I would talk to your child's pediatrician. He/she is more qualified to identify "obesity" than a case worker at WIC. Don't worry or change your child's diet until you speak to your baby's doctor.
    JBsMom2008

Answer by JBsMom2008 at 2:57 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I dunno JB. Sometimes the doctor my daughter sees freaks out if my daughter is only ONE POUND under the average weight of children her age. She doesn't even consider the fact that both my husband and I are small, skinny people and she gets all f-ing freaked out about ONE FREAKIN POUND! So sometimes they can sensationalize your child's weight when really it shouldn't be a big deal. People are so paranoid these days about obesity and shit, it's sad.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I guess that would make me a bad mother too. My Dd only took breastmilk til 5.5 months old. Her doctor told us to start cereal at 4 months, but she refused to eat from a spoon for a month and a half (I tried once a day). I had her 6 month checkup a little late due to postponing vaccines and so when she went in, she'd been eating breastmilk and cereal, that was it, everyday. She had jumped her weight curve. Since birth she'd been 99% in weight, but now she was well over 99%! The doctor poked fun at her, but in all honesty, it's not like I could feed her less unless I wanted to listen to crying all day long. I fed her the recommended amounts of cereal (although she did eat the high recommendation not the low) and I breastfed her strictly on demand.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Gin... find a new doc! My youngest was a small baby, short and skinny. My doc was not worried at all, he looked at my baby every time and saw that even if he was small, he had small fat rolls. And he had a proportional body, meaning he didn't look too skinny.

We had to see a different doctor for one of his appointment and she freaked out and ordered weekly weigh ins. There was noting wrong with him, she was just an alarmist.

You and your doc should be on the same page!

Congratulations on your LO :D
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Oh we don't see her anymore Sleeping. HELL NO! We don't need that freakin stress. She sees a different doctor. Both our girls do.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:12 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• And thank you! =0
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Good! I agree nobody needs that stress!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Oh She is cute! You need t post some newer pics though!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2010