Why is the name marriage such a big deal to some of the religious people?

Now holy matrimony I can understand. That is religious. Marriage is a legal binding contract. So really just because it was borrowed in the 12th century like so many other customs does not make it theirs!!! Marriage existed before religion and will still be there if religion ceases to exist. However holy matrimony will not. So really why lay claim to some thing that does not belong to you in the first place?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 4:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Religious Debate

• You are right because anyone of any belief can be married without any sort of religion involved.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• At least here in the US, the US was official as of 1776 correct? So religion and law were all in one. That's how the majority of laws that we still follow were made, from religion, specifically, Christianity.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:17 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

You lost me. I am asking why marriage is a big deal when the religious term is actually holy matrimony. Also No this country was founded on pagan principals more than any other. However that aside it does state in the constitution that no religion can dictate laws. That include the Christian religion dictating the laws of marriage.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 5:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Personally I don't have a problem with same sex marriage and feel everyone should be allowed to be married if they want, but the reason the name matters for so many is because they don't want to be forced to have to preform same sex marriages in their churches if they become legalized.  If gay marriage is legal the government could force churches to perform marriage ceremonies for any couple he requests it, even if this goes against what they believe.    

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:24 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree!!! religious people will have a problem with the name Holy matrimony you suggested, they will probably claim there is nothing holy about it!

Answer by older at 8:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• bumped ya!

I know keep watching till it gets busy there is a point. A good one I promise. LOL. Thanks for the bump.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 8:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• flip it around..what's wrong with the term civil union? it seems perfectly legal-sounding and unadorned to me..just like so many 'marriages'. i wouldn't have a problem being told dh/i had a civil union, especially since it happened at city hall.
    what's in a name, seems to be the argument.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:30 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

Umm we have been over this. It sounds cold.
    hot-mama86

Comment by hot-mama86 (original poster) at 9:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Agreed... Marriage, and the term Marriage, are LEGAL things, although many of the traditions and ceremonies do incorporate religious aspects, they do not have to. And due to the fact that each marriage ceremony may incorporate religious aspects from any number of religious groups - not just one - or that they can have a completely non-religious ceremony, how can any one group claim sovereign over the word or the ceremony itself? Therefore I suggest we simply require that those who have religious weddings also sign legal marriage papers and go to a JP in addition to their religious ceremony, which physically separates the two paperwork wise, OR that we simply give religious weddings/marriage a different name. Either way, secular or interfaith marriages would need to be covered under the "marriage" title and they really wouldn't change, but could now include everyone without question...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2010