Which would YOU choose?

Most of us are mothers on here, right? I am mom to 3 biological kiddos, a stepson and my cousin whom I'm adopting, and my youngest is my 3 month old daughter. I have always had issues breastfeeding and have never been able to do so as long as I would like to and so I vowed to myself that I would do everything I could to breastfeed as long as possible with my little one. It's been a challenge in the sense that I just don't seem to produce very much milk, so we bottle feed too, but I'm not giving up. However, I am also diabetic and was told by my provider that my kidneys are spilling large amounts of protein and she is concerned that I may be going into 3rd stage renal (kidney) failure. Her recommendation...to quit breastfeeding so I can take a blood pressure med that should help my kidneys some. I know this should be an easy decision, but I am truly struggling with the idea of not bf-ing anymore. What would you do and why?

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 5:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Health

• Yoor health is more important then breastfeeding. Your children need you to be healthy. To take care of them. You baby will be just fine on formula.

Answer by louise2 at 5:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• As much as I love Breastfeeding my Son I'd stop breastfeeding to be on my medication. And trust me, I am a strong supporter of breastfeeding and doing all it takes to continue, but staying alive and as healthy as possible is even more important for your baby.

I wish you health and courage.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thank you both. I just hate feeling like I am once again, failing at the whole breastfeeding thing. I so badly just wanted to be successful at it one time! It's a struggle knowing I am choosing to stop something that I so strongly, don't want to. But you are right, being here, healthy, is what is more important.
    jdrae13

Comment by jdrae13 (original poster) at 5:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree breasthfeeding is not the most important thing.
    BlSarah

Answer by BlSarah at 5:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Don't beat yourself up about not bf...your heath is on the line. Its your choice to make in the end.
    Brooke505

Answer by Brooke505 at 5:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• yeah, you don't want your children to lose their mother, or even miss their mother while she's on dialysis 4 hours every other day....my dad is on dialysis...its left his arm so incredibly bruised up and sore....and it completely controls his life...he can't go anywhere too far from a hospital, and its forced him to sell his house, otherwise he has to drive 2 hours to a hospital that has a dialysis unit each day and back again....you definitely do not want this now....I'm so sorry you have to make this decision....but the longer you can stay away from dialysis, the better ! I won't pretend to know anything about diabetes, but I wonder if maybe you should start looking at a renal diet to prolong dialysis even more...???? Hugs !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Listen to your doctor!  The risks to your health are too high.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Your child needs you more then bfing
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 11:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2010