Breastfeeding at age 3?

So I read a question last night about a woman who was still breastfeeding her three year old, not for me, but to each his own. My question is: wouldn't the sucking on a breast be just as bad as giving a three year old a bottle? I mean, wouldn't it be like giving a three year old a pacifier or a bottle, and thus be bad for their teeth? I know my daughter's speech therapist doesn't even want her using a sippy cup, because the sucking pattern that it promotes is not helpful for mouth development.
I'm not looking for the people who think that it is too old to bf or are going to bash about it, I really just want to know.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 9:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• Believe it or not, America is the only country that feels that BFing after 12 months is "wrong". The world-wide average for weaning age is 3 YEARS OLD!! Yes...three years old. Age four in SOME countries (especially England and Britain) is perfectly normal.

The breast has a lot more "give" than a sippy-cup or a bottle. The child's mouth is DESIGNED for the breast. It is NOT, however, designed for silicone or latex nipples. So far as breast milk rotting teeth out due to sugars in breast milk, EVERYTHING that a baby eats or drinks (with the exception of water) has sugar in it...even formula. Their is a simple way to prevent tooth decay..brush your child's teeth as recommended by his/her dentist.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I don't know. I know that my oldest had a pacifier until he was 4. His doctor felt that because he had a severe eczema he needed it because he did not scratch when he used the pacifier.

He is now 11 and he never had any speech problems or problems with his teeth. I think that if you use things in moderation then they might not cause a problem. I am also someone who does not believe that just because a child uses a pacifier or a bottle or a breast that it is the only reason they have problems.

My middle child never used a pacifier and was off the bottle by 1 1/2 and he does have problems with his teeth.

Those are just my thoughts.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Shaq's mom breastfed him until he was three. She said that is why he is so tall. I worked out for them... Teeth problems are hereditary for us though so, my kids are doomed no matter what.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I was not questioning the nutritional value of the actual breast milk. I nursed my daughter when she was a baby. The question is not about tooth decay, it is about sucking pattern. Teeth are affected because of the bite.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:03 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I dont' think so because the sucking pattern while nursing is much more different than that of a bottle or paci.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I never thought about it that way. I could never make 3 years, but the sucking motions wouldn't stop me. I think breast milk trumps all!
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• No it wouldn't be the same because the breast forms to the child's mouth where as with a bottle or cup the babies mouth has to form to the cup or bottle, particularly with bottles.

That's why in general BF babies/children have less speech problems and fewer cases of braces and other dental work later in life.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Umm.... NO! I hate to BF but I do it cause that's what my son wants... He's 14 months and only nurses at bedtime but it's way different from a bottle... It forms to thier mouth differently than a rubber nipple...

My other son is 28 months and has a speach therapist too... She has no problem with his nuk or his sippy... She just says that he should limit the nuk to bedtime and learn to take it out to talk.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• "The question is not about tooth decay, it is about sucking pattern. Teeth are affected because of the bite. "

SEVERAL moms have answered you about this but just in case you didn't understand the first time, I will repeat myself again........"The breast has a lot more "give" than a sippy-cup or a bottle. The child's mouth is DESIGNED for the breast. It is NOT, however, designed for silicone or latex nipples."...........................why ask for an answer and then ignore the explanation?

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• AvasMommy810- I don't know if you'll read this again, because I was very rude to you, but I wanted to apologize. My message was inappropriate and uncalled for. Your response felt condescending, "why ask for an answer and then ignore the explanation?" bur even if I was upset by your response, my message was uncalled for. I'm sorry.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2008