Help: My son has starting biting & stabbing himself?

My son Jd 2 yrs old recently started biting his own arms very hard (to the point where he later has bruises) then looking at the bite marks and touching them. Then tonight at dinner he started stabbing his arm with his fork. Not softly either, Really hard!! I'm so confused as to why he has started doing this Any advice would be appreciated.

I've made a Dr appointment for him on Thurs but I'm feeling very worried and confused now.

JellybeanLOVER

Asked by JellybeanLOVER at 9:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not totally sure why he would do this. He just might be experimenting with different things and seeing what hurts and what doesn't. I think that it is great that you are going to the DR and hopefully they will be able to give you some insight.

Try not to worry to much and just make sure he is not hurting himself to badly. You could also try talking to him about it, using language that he will understand for his age.

Good Luck and sorry I could not be of more help.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My daughter Hallie, 19 months old, just went through this stage. I asked my dr about it and she said for the time being ignore it. She said Hallie knows it hurts and she'll quit doing it if it doesn't get her any attention and not to worry about it unless it doesn't stop or gets worse. Hallie stopped after about a month. It seems to be a phase just like everything else they do :)
    mommy2hallie07

Answer by mommy2hallie07 at 11:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My son is only 10 months old so I can't say much. However it could be exploring his body and seeing how this body works. It could also mean that he does not have a high pain level so I just see what his doctor would say.
    Kanami

Answer by Kanami at 2:12 PM on Oct. 6, 2008