10 month old and talking

my 10 month old still hasn't said mama,,,:( Is this normal? I know I know there willl come a time when I wish he couldn't say it because he will say it non stop!

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 7:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did similar to what Nyx7 said. But I put my sons hand on me and said Mama, put his hand on his dad and said dada. Another trick is having your spouse call you mom, not like your his mom, but like it's your name, that way your baby recognizes you as mom, not whatever your name is which is too hard for him to try and say probably.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 7:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes, it's normal...and common. 18 months, I believe is around when you should wonder, but, there are stlil kids not talking at all at 2.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:24 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Does he call you something else? Don't worry yet, many times mom & kid have a special bond & mom understands what baby wants before they say it so there's no need for him to adress you. Put your hand on his chest & say his name & then put your hand on your chest & say mama. do it w/ daddy too.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My dd didnt say that much when she was 10 months, but now at 11 1/2 months she is saying a lot!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Both of my kids started talking later than normal and at 13 & 11 they are both in the gifted program at their school. As long as he responds in some way and makes it clear that he can hear you, you have nothing to worry about. My daughter didn't talk until she was 2 and then launched into full sentences. My son was very similar, although he started a bit sooner than my daughter did.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It all depends on the baby. My daughters both started talking and saying things like mama and dada around 8-9 months. My nephew didn't start talking (or walking for that matter) until after a year.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 8:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• mama is a harder word to pronounce then words like... oh... dada!!! (no fair!)
    you can practice with him... here's a trick my mom always used (she learned it from watching that old movie about helen keller...) take your baby's hand and put it over your mouth and say "mama", or whatever word, and then put his hand on his mouth and say it again. they can feel the air and the movement of your lips... eventually he will start to copy you (oh btw, she did this with us when we were newborns so we were all saying words by 6 months and haven't stopped talking yet! haha)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:23 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• yes normal
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My 20 month old still doesn't say Mama. Ma is her word for milk. She does say Dada though. And when you ask her, "where's mommy?, she does point to me.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Very few babies have nay words at 10 months. Most often the first words start to come at around 12 months, sometimes even later. Don't worry!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010