How much vinegar

Do I put in the HE washer to get smoke out of clothes? The clothes were salvaged from a house fire so the smell is really bad.

motherofhope98

Asked by motherofhope98 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I was thinking that you should wash them in detergent and add a bit of borax or baking soda to the wash cycle. Add 1/2 cup of the vinegar to the rinse cycle. The borax/baking soda will deodorize and neutralize in the wash and the vinegar will help expel any residue or residual odors during the rinsing process.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Don't know about the HE washer.... I fill a downey ball about 1/2 way when washing my hubby's stinky work clothes. I'd say its about 1/2 a cup or so. I have a reg washer though...
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree with woodwitch
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:36 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't really know...perhaps you can call a drycleaner, they may have a product you can use. Or a fire restoration place may sell some as well.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• For all of my super smelly loads I add a 1/3 of borax to the prewash box, the regular amount of liquid detergent to the wash box, some color safe bleach to the bleach box and my homemade fabric softener to the softener box (1 C cheap condition, 1 C vinegar, the rest hot water). The borax will really help get the smell out. You may have to wash the loads multiple times, but do not dry them in the dryer until the smell is out. This will set in the smell and make it much harder to remove it later. Air drying is fine, it's the heat drying that sets in the odors.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:35 AM on Aug. 10, 2010