Want the truth about Michelle's vacation?

Because the right wing has propagated so much misinformation about the size and cost of the First Lady’s trip, the Chicago Sun-Times’ Lynn Sweet published an articlesetting the record straight today. First, Michelle Obama brought only Sasha (Malia is at summer camp) along with two close friends, each of whom also brought their daughters. Second, the entire group paid for their own lodging and personal expenses. The New York Times reported that Michelle even reimbursed the government for the equivalent of two first-class commercial tickets for the flight on Air Force Two. (Her friends flew separately, on commercial flights). Finally, most of the rooms booked at her hotel in Spain belonged to Secret Service agents, and as Sweet wrote, “No matter where she goes — domestic or international — any first lady gets protection and she does not decide how many agents are needed.”

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:49 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The people of Spain were probably very happy to host the First Lady. So, goodwill. Again, we are the same people that don't want to overtax the rich and we want the rich to spend money - but we are questioning the security cost when the rest of the money was spent out of her own pocket. I am curious to compare the average daily cost of her secret service entourage when traveling to Hawaii (where her hubs is from) should we now say: he can't go home with his family for a visit?

I still agree with the point that it would have been a major PR move to do it in the US, but to use this example as fiscal responsibility and not point out that she did spend mostly her own money is contrary.

urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Sweet, I really don't care. Obama is going around preaching how Americans must sacrifice, cut back etc.. many people are losing their homes etc.. and Michelle goes on a lavish vaca with a lot of money to pay for it from the public till. It just looks bad.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I saw that they (are planning to) not had, reimbursed for two round trip first class tickets.

That doesn't settle my issue. How do they budget using taxpayer dollars when unlimited first family trips are allowed? I said before, I'll say it again, it would have pissed me off to if I had cared at the time that other presidents did it. These people need to understand that it's not just their money they are spending.

My job affords a schedule for an amount of days I'm allowed to take off. It's common practice, terms of employment.

At some point this practice needs to change. It would be unfair to expect Obama to submit to rules he didn't sign up for, but for the next president, lets set some reasonable rules. These people aren't royalty. (all pres not aimed at the Obamas per se)

We are facing record setting deficits, and the leadership needs to be sensitive to that.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• not exactly
    findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 8:51 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• First of all it is more about how many trips she takes on our dime that is in issue, this is one of many cakes Michelle has eaten.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:24 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• The whole thing is laughable. The other side should take this as a compliment. The repubs look a little desperate and are trying anything. Is this the best they can do. They talk about this because they are running out of crazy talking points like trying to change the constitution just one other laughable talking point. I turned on Fox for 2 minutes yesterday to get my daily laugh and this was the big subject.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Like I said sweet. I really do not give a shit if she takes a vaca. But don't try to sugar coat it like it didn't cost the tax payers a dime.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• and I was 4...I still know it. people want the Obama's to be more humble and KNOW THEIR ROLE....they dont get to be NORMAL

_____________________________________-

I thought he said he was going to do better and be different, and it wasn't going to be the same old thing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:11 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't give a flying rat's ass where she goes or what she does. While American is now focused on HER guess who they aren't looking at.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 10:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Listen to what that idiot Limbaugh said about this:
    "As far as the media's concerned, Mrs. Obama deserves this," he said. "Look at the sordid past. Look at our slave past, look at the discriminatory past. It's only fair that people of color get their taste of the wealth of America too."

Talk about race baiting. Instead of just talking about the $$, he actually makes it ABOUT race. He conveniently leaves out that the Obamas are a wealthy family, making it seem like they are the Beverly Hillbillies come to DC. What does he mean "get their taste"? They already had it, baby. Oh Sweet, it looks as though you may have to give up your race-baiting crown to Mr Limbaugh! (I am kidding of course, I don't think you are a race baiter)
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2010