If someone doesn't respond/answer your text, is it the same as if they hung up on you while talking on the phone?

Do you consider that to be the same?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 9:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• No. Even though it's instant, a text is not the same as a conversation in person or on the phone. It's more like sending an email. You don't know what they were doing, or what just came up, or even if they saw it, or if their phone died, there was a glitch with the cell tower (changing tower zones, etc) and the text got lost or on a delayed delivery, or any number of things.

For all the person sending the text knows, they got a call on their phone and answered it instead, or that someone started talking to them. Because, frankly, it would be MUCH more rude for them to ignore the person standing in front of them talking to them to text with someone else than it would be to ignore the text.

Because I don't mean this mean at all, but if it's something important or time sensitive, it shouldn't be sent in a text anyway, you should just go ahead and call them to make sure they got the message.

Hope this helps :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• not exactly, they could be driving (texting and driving is now illegal in ga) or they could just be too busy to respond right now
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:42 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I HATE receiving and sending texts. I think it is just an excuse not to talk to people. I feel like if you have something to say to me, then call me.
    That being said, if you send ME a text, do not expect a response. Sometimes I will respond depending on my mood, but generally not. And yes it is an insult.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Absolutely not!! Texting is great because you can send something whenever you have the time, and the other person can respond whenever they have the time! When my hubby was working in sales we texted each other all day long. Sometimes there would be hours between responses. It was just great to be in touch and know what was going on with the other person!

Now we do not have free texting. We get free incoming so I do not respond to any texts unless it is very important.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Not at all. To me texting a long conversation is a pain, just call me already. Now, if it's a short note and no response is needed, then text away. Besides, if you call someone and get voicemail you don't expect an immediate response, to me it's the same thing.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• not really, they might be busy, didn't hear their phone, driving, etc... or they might be trying to think of how to answer you... the purpose of texting is so that you don't have to be as intrusive as a phone call- they can respond whenever they get the chance... like an email
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 9:44 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It depends on how long it has been. They might be busy my dh says that the people at his job are constantly getting texts on the floor they can get fired for even having their cells on the floor and some have. It seems that people don't understnad when you are at some jobs we just can't have our cells or be on the internet like some companys allow. Give it some time and it could be like hanging up on a person
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No. To me it's the same as if they got busy or didn't hear that they got a text. I don't take it personally.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 11:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No perhaps they got busy...or it could be they are ignoring you, not really the same thing.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2010