in your experience, best treatment for lice?

mhaney03

Asked by mhaney03 at 9:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know my DD had to wash her DD hair several x w/sp lice shampoo, and combed several xs. You have to be sure and get the disgusting little hard to see eggs. She sprayed her furniture, and washed everyones sheets in HOT water. Also anything she came in contact w/ in HOT water. She does not let her wear a hat to school any more she uses the hood on her coat. She also notified the school so others in the class are ckd. It always seemed to be the same little girl in her class having them. She cut her hair once, and also puts it up alot now. Once she even ordered a kit thru the internet. for the house. Hope you have good luck, they are a very annoying hard to see pesty bug.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think over the counter treatments and home remidies are a waste of time, money and effort. I go to the doc and get a script for Ovide...smells like kerosene, but nothing and I mean nothing survives this stuff. Pour it on, let them sleep with it over night and wash it out in the morning. No nit picking no nothing...it is just gone. Of course you need to wash and vacuume your home too. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• is there where the term "nit picking" came from?

i bought an OTC treatment for today but i know it's gonna take forever to do all that and i can't get my children's father to come watch the baby for me cause his "back hurts" oh wahhh wahhh i hate that SOB.

I will call the pedi, thanks!
    mhaney03

Comment by mhaney03 (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Lice like clean hair use mousse or gel hairspray.
    The best thing I have heard no I haven't ever had head lice in my home but the school I work at has a ton of kids that have it is TEA TREE SHAMPOO or put tea tree oil in your shamppo. Clean, wash everything, vaccum. bag up stuffed animals
    Heres a link for you
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Tea-Tree-Oil-for-Head-Lice
    Good Luck
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I wish I couldnt' give advice on this meaning I'd never experienced it, but we had our first bout last year during the Christmas break. So disgusting, and all but my husband got it. Our heads were itching so bad. We tried all the over the counter tricks, and really the things that worked were simple but time-consuming. For me it was using the blow dryer, and gel everyday as they don't like the heat, and can't breathe well in the gel. For my two boy's it was haircuts, and combing out the nits. The oldest had a mohawk shortly after so his was cured. For the girls, long hair that I refused to cut. Coconut shampoo and creme rinse. I wouldn't rinse out all of the rinse. From there it was daily combing out the nits, sometimes 3 times a day. The nit combs you get it the over the counter drugs kept breaking, so I finally used our flea comb we keep in the house for the cats, and this worked so much better. Good luck!
    Momlovingall4

Answer by Momlovingall4 at 3:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• mayonaise and plastic wrap, with a flea comb

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We just went through this. RID did nothing. :( I used Lice MD and it worked much better. After a lot of internet searching and several CM posts, I've learned a few bits of info too.
    *Dirty hair is better, as noted above.
    *Tree tree oil helps keep them away.
    *Blow drying basically burns them dead if you missed any.
    *Lavender helps keep them away too.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:46 PM on Aug. 11, 2010