I need an honest answer please. Post anon if you have to......

What do you think in your mind when you see a white person dating a black person? I'm asking because I'm black and my SO of one year is white. Everytime we go out we get crazy stares from people. I thought we were so past this black/white thing but apparently not. I would love to know what these people are thinking and why are they staring so hard.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• My mom is white and my dad is black.It's normal i see nothing wrong with it personally. I can i honesly say i have no idea why people stare.

Christine113

Answer by Christine113 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Staring isn't always a bad thing. Maybe they are impressed with how far the world has come since the taboo of mixed races back in the day.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I think it is perfectly normal. Some people are still just racist assholes. I wouldn't worry about people staring, next time you get a dirty look pr someone is staring give your SO a big kiss. Give them something to look at. lol
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Please don't take offense to this. I'm white & I was raised that we are to stick with our own. IMO I don't care it's not a choice for me. I just worry about the children & what they have to go through. I have cousins who are mixed & they were teased & picked on alot growing up. Could just be the area I'm in where in some it's not the same way. I'm 31 so I think when I was growing up it was still a "new" thing. There are soo many mixed couple now a days that you would think people would get over all that crap. I say let em stare, they are probably just jealous because you are happy & they aren't.
    HelenStoner

Answer by HelenStoner at 10:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I honeslty don't think a thing except that they most likely will have some pretty babies:-) I always taught my kids that character is what matters because we are all pink underneath:-) I do hope the couple is strong enough to be there for each other because of the stupidity that you mentioned.
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I don't see a problem. The only time I have problem is when people white or black look trashy with their pants hanging down past their butt and their shirts too big or when they don't speak clearly if a kindergartner can talk plain clear English, then any adult can.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:20 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I don't want to sound rude or belittle anyone. When I have seen that I think about the child and what he/she may go through later on in years. Having to answer all the questions that this world these days have. To me, the child gets the bad end of the siutation. But I also believe if the child does not let the people of this world get to him or her. Then he/she will be just fine. Only God can help a situation out for a child not to be hindered by such ridicule.
    Yvette1959

Answer by Yvette1959 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My MIL is awful though. Me and hubby are nowhere near racist or prejudiced (sp?) are we were checking into foster care. In GA 70% of the children in foster care are black or mixed she was mean because I told her we would probably get a mixed or black child. She would ask me why would I want one of those kids and she asked me what would do if my child got with a black person. I wouldn't care as long as they acted respectable black or white they better be respectable. But, our church has a few white families that adopted black children out of foster care no one even looks twice at them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:26 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I really don't even give a second look. I've never really thought about it. Just me personally, I couldn't date outside my race. It's not a racist thing, I have friends that are from lots of different races, I just couldn't date outside. But I really don't even ever look twice. It's just another couple to me, and as long as their happy, I don't see the issue. But I also don't see an issue with gays or lesbians either. Again, just two people in a relationship that love each other and are happy. That's all that should matter right?!? Good luck, and try not to let the ignorant people get to you. If you get weird looks or stares, just look back and smile! Kill ignorance and nastiness with kindness!! LOL
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I don't think it's crazy. You love who you love. Color should not matter at all. I was always raised to believe that were we all equal. Love is what matters and it is so lacking in the world today, were you find it shouldn't matter.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2008