Any experience with Hebrew names?

Is it okay for sisters to share the same Hebrew middle name? My 1 year old's name is Rivka Shoshana and I want the new baby's name to be Chaya Shoshana. I think it's cute they'll have the same middle name. I mean they are only 17 months apart and I think they will be close. I also say yes because no one ever uses their Hebrew name except a couple key times in their lives. He says no because it's just wrong. Let me know if you agree with me. The naming ceremony is Saturday and we have to act quick.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Baby Names

• I know that I wouldn't. For me the name is an identity and each person should have his or her own. And my kids' only names are their names in Hebrew, though we Anglicized my oldest's nick name.

love both names. We would have considered Shoshana, but it is a SIL's name. Vered is another flower name - rose (sometimes Shoshana is translated as rose, but it is truly lily.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't know about Hebrew naming traditions but I think the names you picked are absolutely beautiful!!!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:16 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Ask you Rabbi; I don't see anything wrong with it. We have friends who met in college, and the University of Wisconsin - Madison. They have four daughters, all with the middle name Madison. Each girl has her own first name, and her own Hebrew name.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• rkolms, i think i may know your friends with the 4 daughters...Is the oldest one named Meridith?
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I don't know anything about Hebrew naming traditions, but I love the idea and I think both names are beautiful!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:12 PM on Aug. 12, 2010