Pros & Cons of spacing children--All answers get vote ups!

Tell me how far apart your children are. Pros and cons of that age spacing. Would you change it?
A few people are baby bunching..what do you think? Was pregnancy harder on your body with the spacing you chose?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Currently, my kiddos are 11, 9, 8, 7, 6, 4 & 2. We have 6 birthdays yet to come before the end of the year so those ages are about to go up soon.

#1 & #2 = 21 months apart
    #2 & #3 = 10.5 months apart
    #3 & #4 = 13 months apart
    #4 & #5 = 19 months apart
    #5 & #6 = 15 months apart
    #6 & #7 = 22 months apart

It is harder when they are younger but as they get older it tends to get easier. We do things as a team and are really close to one another. The older kiddos help out with the younger. The younger kiddos learn from the older ones. Our youngest is the most articulate, smart 2 year old I have had ~ even friends have pointed that out ~ and I think it is due to watching and interacting w/her older siblings. My oldest ones are mature and responsible. The middle ones want to have the same responsibilities as the older ones; like helping cook w/raw meat, wash laundry, help w/dishes, etc. but I tell them to wait a year or 2.
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 1:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Mine are 24,19,16,4 and 3. My first 3 are nicely spaced and I would do it that way had I to do it over again. My last two are only 13 months apart and people ask me if they are twins everytime we are out in public. I don't know how moms of multiples do it, but let me tell ya, maybe it was because I was 39 and 40 when my last two were born...but I would never ever in a million years have babies that close together ever again. Can you say TUBAL?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• 1 and 2 are 2 years 6 days apart
    2 and 3 are 10.5 months apart
    3 and 4 are 11 months apart
    4 and 5 are 3 years 1.5 months apart
    TTC #6

I think the close together ones get along better, as baby they were hard, as older kids it is easier.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My first 2 are 14 months apart. My second two will be about 12 months apart. Its a little hard with taking care of all their needs at once but so far so good. They love to play together and have little to no jealousy. I dont get much sleep during the night, but then again In a few years I wont have to start all over again:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• my oldest daughter and son are 5 years apart and dont have a bond at all. she thinks shes too old to play with a kid that much younder then her . so the rest of my kids I had close together and they all love eachother and are best friends. so i perfer to bunch them together.
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 10:27 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My kids are 7, 6, 4 and 18 mos.
    The first 2 are 14 mos apart,
    #2 and #3 are 19 mos apart.
    #3 and #4 are almost 3 years apart.

I like having them close in age. It was not originally planned this way, but once we had the first 2 kids so close, we liked it.
    It's harder in the beginning because they are not self sufficient yet. But they grow up not knowing what it's like to be an only child so they learn to share early, be patient, and accept that they are not the only ones in the house who have needs.
    With them a little bit older - they are each other's playmates, and like alot of the same things.
    My older 2 go to camp together, play sports together (even though they are different sports, one is a girl and one is a boy), go to the same school (one grade apart), teach other things, and teach the younger ones what they learn.

ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:28 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I only have one. I intended to have another when he was 1 but he is almost 4 now and I still haven't had another and probably won't for a long time. I think its sad for him. He doesn't have anyone to play with, he doesn't have any cousins or anything. Poor guy. On top of that, I think having kids closer together helps them grow. They compete with each other, the younger learns to walk cause the older is doing it and the older learns to talk because they want to be better then the younger and on and on. I think its really good for kids to be closer together. Gives them someone to be close to.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 10:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• 1 and 2 are 20 minutes apart - twins....having had them 1st - it was easy as I had nothing to compare it to.
    1/2 and 3 are 5 years apart
    3 and 4 are 2 ½ years apart
    20b,20b,15g,13b
    I personally wouldn't have them more than 5 yrs apart. The twins were able to help without being a hindrance. The younger two fight some, but nothing out of the ordinary sibling picking....he's touching my leg with his jeans..kind of stuff.
    But my husband has 2 younger sisters. One is 6 years younger and the other is 12 years younger. He and the 6 yr younger sister get along great and have a wonderful Brother/Sister relationship. He and the 12 yr younger sister......He spent most of his youth being a 3rd parent and their parents allowed it. Worst thing that could have happened. Because she's spent the past 21 years PISSED off that he got married and had a family.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:34 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• They are all about two yrs apart.
    Pros.
    They are close.
    They are getting out of diapers close together
    They are on the same diet
    Sorry tired will come back.
    Cons
    They fight alot
    They get jealous alot
    They all want all day mommy time.
    They wear me out.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• 1 and 2 are 16mos part

2 and 3 are about 3 1/2 years apart

closer space of 16mos is harder on your body. You don't have time to recooperate or really enjoy the baby days with the first. essentially you have two babies at different stages which can be a juggle. They do however enjoy the same actvities and toys, they have a constant companion and never remember being an only child. They may fight but they also are close. As they get older out of the bottles. diapers and potty trained its alot easier!

My bigger space was easier being pregnant since I had a break.By now sibling were 3 and 5 so they slept well allowing me to rest adequtely. Once born they could help and understand when I had to tend to her. The baby does not have a constant playmate like they did at times they want to do stuff she can't do like legos she just breaks them..LOL I feel their are pro and cons to both!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:41 AM on Aug. 10, 2010