Anyone here grow pumpkins?

I've been trying, but don't really know what I'm doing. I've got sandy soil and they get sun most of the day. I've watered and fertilized, get tons of yellow flowers, but no pumpkins...

lizard111

Asked by lizard111 at 10:22 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• As always pinch off the 1st flowers of the season I don't know if I'd do it now though it's getting kind of late. We have pumpkins growing in our garden right now they are getting so big and they are already turning orange might be a bit early for that we have never done the pumpkins before dh thought we could save a trip to the local pumpkin patch if we grew our own little does he know we're still going. He said we won't probably be doing them again unless we plant them on the outside of our fence. I think it all depends on when you planted them and where you're at they take a while to grow just be patient and hopefully they will still come you really don't want them for another 2 months anyway.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:39 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• also you want to pinch off some of the flowers or you'll get a ton of really small pumpkins instead of a few large ones.
    furbabymum

Answer by furbabymum at 10:31 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• The yellow flowers turn into the pumpkins. It takes a while.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:25 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It takes a while, but the yellow flowers (or orange flowers...mine are orange) will turn into pumpkins.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I did it a few years ago. I ended up with 3 medium pumpkins. It was fun, but the animals around here got most of them. I think you should have some small pumpkins by now. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• you might not have any bees around, or there are not enough male flowers to pollinate your female flowers. I would guess it's a bee problem. Let the flowers on the very end of the vine around mid June stay and pick off the others. Pumpkins should be ready by august, so it's probably too late for you this season. :(
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Good tips...thanks!
    lizard111

Comment by lizard111 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If you still have flowers you could try pollinating them yourself. Take a paintbrush and gently move pollen from flower to another. It's a pain but in a "no bee" situation it will work.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:38 AM on Aug. 10, 2010