Foodstamps! We aren't poor enough!

I am really ticked off. I have been laid off. Husband has had his job almost 4 years now. We have a rental house and 2 cars. We have 3 kids. I am job searching but we need a bit of help. I sat in the welfare office for 6 hours the other day. I got DECLINED! I only applied for food. No cash. NO medical. Just food and they turned us down. A family of five making literally just enough to struggle by each month with zero left over and we can't get help. But if my husband was a dead beat loser who sat around not working we would have qualified for everything! Does this seem WRONG to anybody else?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Op- I think some might be confused with your situation. Are you living in a rental or do you own and rent out a secondary home?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• delilah you sound rather envious of the OP. Why did you move to a place that has no jobs..or rather why did you quit a job and move somewhere that had no jobs? Don't bash the OP when she has more responsiblity in her little finger than you have in your entire body.

OP, I am sorry you are having difficulties. People don't understand you can't just "sell" a car or a rental house when the economy is in the tank! See if you have a St Vincent de Paul in your area or Catholic Charities..they are a world of help.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:32 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thats the problem with the system. The people who are genuinely trying to make it and cant get screwed while people who sit around and dont care get everything. I hope you guys can figure something out quickly!
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• sometimes it is how many assets you have
    if you have over X amount in assets, bank account, savings, socks, vehicles, etc then you will be denied because you cold sell those items or cash them in and have enough money. Maybe that is the reason?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:45 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• we have been declined too. Bummer when you are a hard working family with no intentions on abusing the system and you get turned down. See if there are any food banks in your area. You need to apply but they rarely turn people down. Some places have amazing food choices! They don't ask about income, just your name, address, number....etc. The purpose of the food banks is to feed people in need, not to pick and choose.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:49 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I am sure they base it off of assets. If you had nothing to sell (rental homes), you would probably be able to qualify. Not standing behind any particular policy of public assistance - just stating the facts. There are a lot of people that don't have anything and they still make $5 / month more than allowable to qualify. Very sad. Have you tried local food banks and churches? Even if you don't belong to a church they are inclined to help you if they have the resources. Good luck!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:47 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• You practically need NO INCOME to get food stamps and they don't always take into acct certain bills like anything with cars they don't care. They feel thats a luxury. I don't agree but it is how it is. Its easier to get medical. It really depends what you make for me to know if its fair. I hope you can get a job soon. I had to drop out of school and get a job and it freaking took me 3mos! I was like OMG!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:46 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i cant get them either it is like i have to have 18 kids and have no job or something it is so stupid i dont get it
    shannonsmom555

Answer by shannonsmom555 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Welcome to my world for three years. I was laid off and then my husband lost his overtime and was cut to 4 days a week. He couldn't get a part time job to supplement the wage loss because he is on call 24/7 for his job. He worked there 10 years and where we live the entire job market has imploded so he couldn't risk quitting his job. I was declined unemployment. So we lost 43% of our income, have three kids, a mortgage and bills to pay. We didn't qualify for any type of assistance. Not even reduced lunches for my kids because my husband made $75 too much one week. We've struggled along with out any help... we cashed in our kids savings and our IRA... In my bitterness, I get very ticked off when I am behind someone in line at the grocery store yapping on their big dollar fancy phone, in their nice clothes with much better food than me and they hand their food stamp card to the cashier. I don't even have a phone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It doesn't matter if you make barely enough to struggle by. It matters if your income is under the requirements. I'm in Az with a family of five. My limit is $2400 dh makes $1200 We can barely get by. The problem is how much you make not what goes out. I'm sorry but if you were denied for income which is the only thing they would've used if your info. here is correct. Than you are living above your means. That is not their fault. Lower your bills problem solved
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2010