Table food for a 13 month old

My son is 13 months old today. So far he mostly eats jar food with the exception of fresh fruit and sometimes I'll give him small pieces of chicken if that's what we're eating. But he has a hard time chewing & swallowing meats or anything with skin on it (the outer later of peas, etc). The meats, no matter how small a piece, just stay in the side of his mouth or back of his tongue. I want to try more things with him but I don't know what to make. Is there a website that has ideas for meals for toddlers his age? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Make a can of vegetable soup with pasta. Give him the soft veggies and pasta from the soup. It's so soft, my kids never choked on it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Have you tried cutting up the gerber meat sticks? They are really soft. Soft carrots, Mac n cheese, bread, Gerber soups...
    SwtSnowflake2

Answer by SwtSnowflake2 at 11:04 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Try Gerber's website. They have a way you can customize menus.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:09 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• mashed potatoes, pasta w/ very little sauce, grits, oatmeal, yogurt, small pieces of banana, those biter cookies, gerber meat sticks they look like vienna sausage but you have to cut them up really small too....ummm...applesauce, diced fruit like pears, gerber gradute puffs (they dissolve), cream of wheat, canned veggies - peas, carrots, corn can be iffy so see how he does with that...
    If you need more ideas just let me know =)
    flcouple7577

Answer by flcouple7577 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Here is a great website for healthy finger food ideas and recipes:
    http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/infant-finger-food.html

I would stay away from jarred and processed foods and offer as much fresh as you can. Cut up a peach into small chunks or cut grapes into fourths. Steam some carrot slices (their fine just plain), or offer cooked corn niblets or peas. My son loves tofu cubes and they are so smooth that practically no chewing is needed.
    barefootbooks

Answer by barefootbooks at 12:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thank you everyone. I will check out the website. I have given him/tried most of the Gerber snacks and meals. I'm just trying to do away with the Gerber foods because they get expensive. I want to give him homemade meals. If anyone has any other ideas that haven't been mentioned yet, please keep them coming. Thank you! =)

Lindz83

Answer by Lindz83 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It's hard to get normal veggies or meat (like from my plate) into a kid who is learning how to chew. My 12 month old still only has 2 teeth. He can mush good sized pieces of soft things, though! Besides fruits, here are some ideas:
    * melted cheese on toast
    * scrambled eggs
    * oatmeal w/ fruit
    * french toast
    * breakfast sausage - read the package to pick the best option
    * black bean or veggie burgers - look for lower salt ones
    * sweet potato fries
    * pancakes - you can put veggies or fruit in them. We like it with shredded zucchini or green beans (surprisingly good!)
    * muffins - our favorite is pumpkin bread with lots of shredded carrots and sweet potato mixed in
    * biscuits - again you can put pureed (or finely chopped) chicken and veggies in the mix before you bake it
    * pizza - he likes the thicker, soft crust, and the veggies on pizzas are usually cooked very soft
    * PB&J - if your doctor says pb is ok
    * soup
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2010