do you keep your kids toys/toy room organized?

My kids have about half our basement as their toy room, last week I bought things to organize their toys and now they (the toys) are scattered through out the house..If I ask them to clean them up or put the toys back when they are done they wont. Would you ust pick the toys up, or have them do it. They are 4 1/2 and 3 1/2.

kvaneyk

Asked by kvaneyk at 11:01 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• LMAO

LOL

LOL

LOL
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:03 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• yes i do... my dd is almost 2 and i pick them up and make her pick them up i cannot stand a mess so i make sure they are always picked up
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 11:05 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I constantly pick up toys. I turn around and it's a mess again.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:05 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• my son keeps everything in his playroom. when he has things scattered about on the floor, he's old enough to realize he can't find what he needs. imagine needing that one lego piece amidst hotwheels, trains, and game pieces, or flipflops!!! he also has bins for organization..and he's learned (by being taught) how to use them. he's 5yo.
    you have to stay on top of them and be consistent. follow them around showing what needs to be put back in the proper place. they know..they are just wanting to show you who's boss. if you don't make them clean up after themselves, there will always be toys scattered around your house.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:06 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would pick them up, with help from them. Every time I saw one of their toys, I would call them, and have them put it where it goes. Eventually, they will get tired of having to come and get the toys where they left them, and start to put them away!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I try but once I get in organized it's messy in 10 minutes so I gave up. I just clean it up enough to walk around in.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:11 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think until you get rid of a lot of toys and have just a few no matter what you try to organize it's not going to stay that way. With that being said I think it's time that they learn how to pick up the messes they make.If I had to pick them up they would no longer have them if I asked them to pick them up and they didn't
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes i do.. I am a bit OCD lol... and cant stand it if everything is just thrown about...
    All her kitchen stuff stays in her kitchen (NOT the toy bin) and all her dolls stay in her doll house & we have a barbie bag for all the clothes & crap... I also have bins for other toys (those are hard to keep organized)..

Ive learned instead of saying "clean your room" (and things get thrown where ever) I will tell her to go put all her barbie stuff up.... and then ill tell her put all your kitchen stuff up.... and so on...I also spent time in there showing her that every thing has its place and for a week or 2 I gave them directions to where everything goes (dd is almost 4 and i babysit a 4.4yo too)....

Ive also learned to cut back on toys & rotate them! Its great. Less clutter & every 1-2wks they get a "new" batch of toys to play with..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My daughter is almost two and I'm constantly picking up toys. And then it feels like as soon as I turn my back, it's a mess again. I try my hardest to keep my daughter's room organized. I'm currently trying to teach her not to bring more than one toy out if she's not going to play with it. For some reason she likes to bring all of her toys out of her room and display them all through the house. I think your kids are old enough to start picking up after themselves. My daughter is starting to get the idea. When she sees me picking stuff up, she comes and helps.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Right now, I just have them put up, and they're somewhat organized. However, I'm not happy with the setup, so I'm going to go up there sometime soon and reorganize everything. I'm planning to group items together, because I want him to learn that he can only play with one set of toys at a time.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 1:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010