at how many months does your baby go from an infant seat to car seat?

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 12 months is the minimum.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:56 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It's not about age, it's about size. I had big boys who outgrew the infant seat at around 6 months, both in height and weight. That doesn't mean they were turned around forward facing, it means they had to be rear facing in the bigger convertible carseat. On the other hand my niece had a petite little girl who was in her infant seat much longer, closer to 12 months.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My son went from an infant seat to the MyRide 65 when he was almost 7 months old. He was over 20lbs when I moved him.
    Kristen1010

Answer by Kristen1010 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My kids go from infant seat to convertible seat @ 4 months, from convertible seat to high back booster w/ 5 pt harness @ 3.5 years, 5 pt harness booster to HBB with just the seat belt @ 5 years, then to regular booster @ 7 years. This was for all my children except pne because she is much smaller than average so she will be in a HBB w/ harness until probably 6.5-7 years old.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:15 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Each infant seat has a weight limit, but I think the standard for most is 15 pounds. But you can put a newborn in a car seat. Most are designed for 5 lbs on up. If I had to do it all over again, I would skip the infant seat altogether and just use the car seat. It's much easier to carry the baby than it is that heavy carrier.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It depends on the seat. My sons seat had a 29 inch and 22lb limit. He moved at 7 months cause he was close to 29 inches and i had the cash to get it. You can move them to a rear facing convertible carseat anytime you want. Just remember they have to stay rear facing until they are 1 and 20lb by law. And the new recommendations coming out now that they are trying to pass as a law is to keep them rear facing until they are 2 and 30lb cause its 75 percent safer than forward facing. :) In my state they have to be 4 years old and 40lb to move to a booster, and be in the booster until they are 8 years old or 4' 9". (just a lil carseat info for ya..lol.) If you have any other questions there is a car seat safety group her on CM and they are great!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My first DS was 9 lbs at birth and went directly into a rear facing convertible seat. We never used an infant seat with him. My nest two were 5 lbs and 4 lbs when they came home and I had them in an infant seat until they hit 7 or 8 lbs, then put them into a regular convertible rear facing seat.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My son hit the height limit on his infant seat at 4 months, so I moved him to a rear-facing convertible seat then. I moved my daughter at about 4 or 5 months because she got too heavy for me to carry in the carrier part of the seat.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• at 7 months my son went from an infant seat to a rear facing convertible seat
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 5:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• its weight not age
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2010