Best way to teach ABC's, Numbers, and things my 4year old will need to know?

My son is 4, I am trying to teach him things he will need to know for school next year. Just wondering what other moms do to teach their kids and how to keep them interested in learning. Thanks

Brittney20

Asked by Brittney20 at 12:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used this website with my daughter last year when she was 2. http://www.letteroftheweek.com/ It worked really well. She's only 3 now and she has all her letters recognized and most of her numbers. (She's not interested in the numbers, but we're getting there.) I'm also schooling her again this year and will continue to school her when she turns 4 as well. I've been getting lesson plans ready for her and planning out all our activities. We start on the 6th and she's so excited.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 2:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Read to him, Label everything in the house, Point out things and tell him...like, "Look at that red A on that rectangle sign."
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• get some foam letters ,animal shaped and numbers and let him play with them in the tub. Get him to tell you what colors they are and help him with the numbers,letters, and animals.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thanks alot for the tips :)
    Brittney20

Comment by Brittney20 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thanks..great website!!
    Brittney20

Comment by Brittney20 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• the dollar tree has the big posters with letters and numbers on them, shapes colors too. sing the alphabet song with him, read to him. take him to the library and get some kid books
    tricia1332

Answer by tricia1332 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• make-up games with colors and numbers. also buy the letters and numbers with the magnets on them and put them on the frig
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I put letters on the wall in his room. I also pointed out colors, counted things, and spelled things for him. I have been doing this birth though...
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• we read daily and i always point ask my son to point to letters on the book cover before we get into the story. at first it was just pointing out letters from his name, then building til he could recognize all the letters. Now we point to letters and try to say the sound each one makes as we read the word. He's getting really into the phonics part of it. If we're driving in the car he will randomly say a word and sound out some of the letters. I talk to him about letters and words ANY time he starts doing it.
    stykir

Answer by stykir at 10:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• At this age, learning should be fun. Play games that teach. Play hide and seek - count outloud. If he's already counting, say, to 10, count to 20, or 30, or try counting by 10s, 2s, etc. Play games like I-Spy. get creative with the things *you* spy - use letters, shapes, colors, etc. Or use hints utilitizing phonics "I spy something that starts with the letter B. B sounds like buh." Play Bingo - use sight words or letters or numbers, etc. Go for a walk and collect objects like sticks, stones, acorns, etc. Come home and sort them using size, color, shape, or whatever moves you. Track how many of each 'type' you have using tick marks. Compare which group has more. Focus on self-care skills too. Kindergarten readiness is often more about independence and listening skills than acaemics. Work on developing fine motor skills (a key for writing!) by making fruit loop necklaces, legos, play-doh.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010