Foodstamps! We aren't poor enough! -edit for info

Can't reply anon yet so I'll add info here. See original post for more details.
***we do not OWN a rental. *** We live in a rental house. We have 2 cars but 1 is a 1995 fully paid off- almost on it's last legs - infiniti J30. The 2nd car is my husband's car which he uses to commute over an hour each way just so he can continue to support his family. The car is a 2006 Mazda3 but his MOM had to give us a down payment for it and she makes the monthly payment. We have no assets.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that something has been lost in this debate/conversation. Life can be fine one day and then overnight it becomes a nightmare. You turn to this government agencies that has been support by your tax dollars for decades and you need help and get turned away. In our case, our income took a huge devastating hit without notice and things just were gone. She didn't plan on these circumstances, they just happened. It can be very aggravating. I spend weeks researching every agency that could assist us and realized we couldn't get any help unless he actually lost his job and the house was three payment behind and creditors were beating down our door, and we sold off everything we owned. So we made do without the help. It can be done.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• if you got declined, then you make over the poverty level. It's simple math.

Budgeting your money is up to you. Cut back on unnecessary things. Yes cable TV is nice but you don't NEED it. Start clipping coupons. Check out thrift stores first for things like clothing and house hold items. No eating out. Start drinking water instead of store bought drinks like soda.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I spent many years as a single mother working my butt off, we didn't have much food in the house, but we made do. We did not qualify either. Sometimes there are things you just have to deal with. I know it's rough. Make large meals like goulash, spaghetti, chilli etc, and freeze them. A large package of hamburger will go a long ways. Let your kids know that unless it's a special treat, you are pretty much confined to doing free things such as the park. Walk anywhere you can to save gas money. Make it an adventure instead of a bad thing. That's the key. On holidays when you cannot afford lots of gifts and a big meal, get your family involved in helping out at a soup kitchen, the Salvation Army, etc. It's a lot more fun knowing that you helped in any way possible for those less unfortunate than yourselves. Good luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Either way. She can't say...But, I am poor and I didn't really pay for my car...So poor me. She just doesn't qualify...let it go. Budget or sell something or lie. You can't expect the government to change its rules because you think you should qualify.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• 1995 fully paid off- almost on it's last legs

*****
    Just as an FYI - this is an asset; and the fact that it's totally paid off makes it weigh more than if you had a different car you were making payments on...just so you know...

I don't know what state you're in; but check the income:debt ration limits in your area to see what you need for qualification.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I still think with all things considered, you guys are doing pretty good compared to some. Make some decisions about what is important, and start looking for another job. GL, it's not that bad.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• This sounds just like the situation we were in just before hubby lost his job last year. All of our expenses (we cut out ALL extras) including the fuel for him to get back and forth to work (also an hour away) and the payments on the vehicle were just too much. We ended up having the car taken back, there was no other option. It was up to me to drive hubby to work and back between taking and picking the girls up from school. I was on the road all the time and my car (though paid for) was getting worn down (and still is). We weren't poor enough for foodstamps either and yet we barely had enough money left to pay for the bare necessities. Our situation has changed a little but things are still rough. I pray things will get better. This is what the place between a rock and the hard place looks like!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Thank you for clarifing I am sorry that I assumed. Put the cars in your MILs name and you should be fine. HOnestly that might be it. You own 11ONE car and you can be denied if you own TWO you probably will for sure! Again SORRY I hope it works out!!!!!!!!!!!

delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Anon, actually they can be declined because cars are seen as an income because they can be sold. If you own 1 car it can be hard to get any help let alone 2 OMG. But I would watch out in the last post by the OP I was bashed for saying that I wish I did not have to be on food stamps and that the OP should sell a car or save some money. So FYI people who think they know everything will say you are wrong.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I own a car. I paid $3000.00 for it I am buying a house. I still qualify, so, if you don't then you don't. It has nothing to do with that. You make too much and don't owe enough in utilities. I get $100.00 a month. There are two of us.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010