when do you remove the crib bumper

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i don't want a lecture on how they "aren't safe" but i left them until i took her out of the crib.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:43 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• My dd was 2 1/2 that is just because we moved and i didnt feel like messing with it to put it back on and she only had a few more months before she was out of her crib.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Typically when they can pull to a stand cause they can stand on them as a booster and flip out of the crib. Poster #1 was correct though. They are not safe. Babies suffocate on them. I use them as well though (I know dumb dumb).
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I never put them on, too risky.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 11:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• just curious... how exactly do they suffocate on them? Is it the strings that are bad or the babies pressing their faces into them?
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• babies get their little nose stuck underneath it or they simply re-breathe their own air and don't get any oxygen if their face is pressed up against it. I've read though that only something like 28 babies have been injured or died from crib bumpers. The risk is there, but it's very low in the case of crib bumpers. But they still should be removed when the baby is pulling himself up to a standing position.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• it depends on the parents, and the baby.. if you wake up and find your baby with limbs poking thru, or they are moving it, then maybe its time to take it out, one of my books says when they start to roll over to take them out, and another said to take them out when they can sit up by themselves. My gf took her sons out when he was 10 months old, cause he used it as a ladder and climbed down it to get out of bed in the middle of the night...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:42 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I use the Breathable Mesh Bumper's. They are backed by the SIDS foundation as being safe because they are mesh and have no strings (they velcro) and they collapse if you push down on them so babies cannot use them to climb. I love it, it keeps my LO from getting stuck and I plan on using it until she's out of her crib.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266849
    Anonymous