If your child is allergic to milk..

what type of symptoms do they exhibit: skin, respiratory, or gastro-intestinal? And how soon after drinking milk?

Cass052005

Asked by Cass052005 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has gastro-intestinal issues that lead to diarrhea and blisters in his diaper region. It takes about 12-24 hours if he has had anything made with milk or soy. If he drinks straight cows milk, he vomits almost immediately.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Mine used to vomit, and he later we realized he had headaches as well, of course he couldn't tell us that when he was really small. He also had behavioral problems when he drank milk or had too many dairy products.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• When our middle son was a baby I had to give him soy, the protien in cows milk would make him swell around his mouth, and anywhere it touched his skin. He grew out of it by the time he was drinking from a cup.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• since the one incident of her allergic reaction as a baby of swelling up and turning a bright red, she now must take medicine before drinking anything milk or milk related. She also can't consume as much as most people can either. As far as a reaction is concerned, it varies depending upon the person. If a child is allergic they usually will swell up or their throat will close, break out in a terrible rash, if they eat something that their body is allergic and will need some medicine to counteract the reaction. She has never broken out in a rash though.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well, I guess I should give a little bit of background. My daughter is just over a year old and has always been on SImilac Advance which is a milk-based formula. She has bad eczema outbreaks twice, and mild flare ups every once in a while. She has wheezing and a runny nose more often than most babies, and the blood tests and xrays come back normal. Today was the first time I tried to give her regular milk, and watch for a reaction. About an hour after she had 2 ounces she had diarrhea. But that could be coincidence from something else she ate. I am keeping a chart of what happens when I give her small amounts, and I am going to take it with me to her appt on the 23rd and see if I can have her tested for an allergy if it persists.
    Cass052005

Comment by Cass052005 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My son has had a dairy allergy. It was diagnosed at 11 months old, but looking back, I wish I would have found out sooner. He had BAD eczema (because you mentioned your LO has had eczema, chances are good it is from a food or other allergen, even if it is not from the milk). At around 10 months old, I gave my son an infant cereal that had whey (milk protein) in it and he got hives around his mouth and began vomitting. Milk allergies present themselves in MANY different ways. Common symptoms could be: hives, vomitting, loose or bloody stools, eczema, frequent ear infections, wheezing, runny nose or bad tempermant. My son only had the hives and throwing up,a long with eczema. I have found many pediatricians brush off allergies and think the child is just easy to come down with a cold. Trust your gut. I would take your LO to a pediatric allergist and get some tests done.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• my daughter broke out in a rash. Small bumbs over her body. It took them a little while to diagnose it as allergic tothe milk, but the longer she was on regular milk the more the rash spread ans got thicker. We put her on that silk soy milk and rash is completely gone within a week. Plus she seems to like the soy milk better.
    jaceyrayesmom

Answer by jaceyrayesmom at 1:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• She may be having ahard time digesting the lactose. Have you tried lactose free to see if everything clears up?

I am lactose intolerant and my symptoms vary. I may puke, get sick to my stomache, have gas, have diarreah, or nothing may happen.

My youngest daughter was and so is my little boy. They were disgnosed early on without any testing. Just by their symptoms. They threw up a lot, had gas, were fussy, etc.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2010