Double charges on debit card... question

I put this anonymous because I dont want everyone knowing my financial situation..

I pumped gas, $43, to fill up my tank. I checked my acct today and it said $43 charged twice, same time, same exact amount. I called the gas station and they said that the other charge is a pending charge, it should go away in 48 hours. BUT I called the bank and they said that that charge is not pending, that it was debited from my account, and it looks like the station ran the card twice. I went into the store with a copy of my statement showing it was taken out twice, but they still are insisting that the other charge is just a pending charge.

The problem is now we have just a few bucks in our bank account, and I dont see how this charge is pending. What should I do next? The bank said that it has to be settled with the gas station.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• Challenge the charge with your bank.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would go to the manger of the gas station and tell him-her whats happened and show then that they took money out twice. Also the next time you get gas make sure you clear your card because some people and use your card with out you knowing it till it is to late.
    SassyDee01963

Answer by SassyDee01963 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Go to the bank and tell them it is a double charge, and you want to initiate a charge-back. They will ask you for documentation, then take it through the system. This is your right as a credit card (Visa or MasterCard branded) cardholder. If they won't start this for you, speak with a manager at the bank. It's going to take 30 days or so for you to be reimbursed this way. You may be able to convince the gas station manager to give you a refund if you can prove it (bank statement, or a letter from the bank), and get your money back quicker.

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Your bank can file a charge back, if they won't cooperate, call the car issuer, like Visa or Mastercard and they will.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Was it a PRE-Auth, something that is SET to post or was it already a HARD post?? Sometimes my bank account has double charges for the same thing, but they are what the bank terms as soft post. They set to clear at a future date and really haven't cleared yet. When that happens there is nothing I can do but wait for it to truly be posted, a hard post, and actually withdrawal. Once it's a hard post if there is still a double withdrawal then I contact my bank and bring it to their attention. They can't do anything if its a pre-auth or soft post.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• The bank should be able to fight the charge for you. Since it's a double charge let them know you didn't authorize the second charge. Usually the bank will tell you to try to work it out with the store and if that doesn't work they should be able to credit you and go after them.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• How long has it been since this happened? Most gas stations do send out the charge and then a pending charge to make sure the account actually exists for that same amount. It can take up to a week before the pending charge is reversed.

I would check your bank account online. Ours breaks down what is pending and what isn't. Also is your bank charging you fees? If so, you should definitely fight it. Be polite though! They'll often work with you if you explain what happened.

As you've probably already learned- it is wise to leave a buffer in your checking account for things like this. Gas stations- in my experience- are the ones that most commonly do this. But I've ordered stuff online and they have pended a few dollars in a separate charge just to verify the account.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Talk to the manager at the store and the bank
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 7:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would advise you to keep going up the chain of command on both sides (the bank AND the gas station) until the problem gets resolved. Whoever you're talking to right now has a boss, and that person has a boss, and so forth. Also try calling the customer service hotlines for both companies. Hopefully it doesn't have to come to it, but you might even need to get local law enforcement involved. I think if you just keep making yourself heard though, someone will help you out.
    CassieMcIntyre

Answer by CassieMcIntyre at 4:38 PM on Aug. 11, 2010