Am I the only one that thinks this is presumptuous?

When I had my youngest 2.5 years ago, we didn't have any extra money. But I scrimped and saved and bought a really nice baby sling. I paid $65 for the one I wanted, but it was a sacrifice to spend that much money on it.
Now.. My sil just had a baby. She and her husband bring in three times as much money as my husband and I do, she calls me up today to ask me to send her my sling. For one thing, it is mine and I have a sentimental attachment to it and for another, I plan on using the same one for any future children.
I guess it would not bother me so much except that she was very pushy about what she wanted before the baby was born. She had a list of things she didn't get from her baby shower, that she expected her mother and I to provide. Including a set of bottle that cost $50 for 6 bottles. There were other outrageous things on her list and she kept hounding us to comply with her list.

Is it just me or is she over the line?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 12:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• She's way over the line. The baby shower is supposed to be about what the baby needs, not what she wants. How selfish can a person get? People get things for the baby out of the kindness of their hearts, not because it is demanded of them. I'm sorry that she is so ungrateful.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well, I think it is always rude to ask someone to give you something that wasn't offered in the first place. But you should be gracious and just tell her that it is sentimental to you and you'd to keep it. Tell her where she can get one though.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• That does seem a little odd. Just tell her you still plan on using it, but you know where she can get one just like yours! I don't think I'd get too upset about it. As for asking for the other things she didn't get, I think I would try to just ignore that, or tell her you just can't afford to buy all those things for her.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 1:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes and no.. she is in baby mode right now and needs to know what all she has to buy, if she has assumed you and Mom will be buying everything or giving her everything left she needs, feel free to tell her the truth.. you just can't or wont do it. Offer her a place to buy a sling like yours at a discounted rate or see if someone can make her one like yours but if you can't afford it or are too attached just tell her.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• That is a little over the top. If you plan on having more kids, then you should keep those. I don't mind loaning things to people, but I always do it with the intention that I will never get it back. For her to just outright ask you to send those specific things seems a little bit pushy. If you had offered them that's one thing, but you shouldn't feel like you have to just send her all your baby stuff that she didn't get, what if you got pregnant right now, you would need that stuff before she was finished with them, and you would need them back.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• for her to exspect you to give it to her without you saying anything about it is over the line.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 1:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Umm Wow. Family tension much? You sil sounds like a royal pain in the ass. I feel sorry for her husband. She overstepped and you need to tell her no to the sling. If you see baby sales let her know since she wants to save money or whatever. Remember though, just cause they make more, they also spend, and as you are seeing expect more. Need I remind you what hormones do to pregnant women as well? lol Try to take the higher ground with her when you are dealing with her gimmes.
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Sound like your SIL has some issues, but it's up to you to not let her push you around. Tell her no and try not to let her get to you so much. There's probably a reason why she's acting that way.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• She sounds like a greedy, self-centered person and you are under no obligation to give her anything at all, especially not something that already belongs to you and that you're planning to use again. Just tell her that you hope to use it again and you'll be keeping it until then.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 1:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Honey,she way over the line! You call her pushy.I'd say more like not being to appreciatable.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010