Could my 3yr old daughter have a vaginal yeast infection?

On and off when I change my daughter's diaper she will start clawing at herself. Really scratching like she's very itchy. I'm always careful to make sure there's no poop inside her as I heard that can lead to an infection.

I've leaned down when this has happened to try and see if there's an odor or something to let me know something's wrong? Nothing. It's not red, except from scratching. Nothing looks inflamed either.

I've never had a yeast infection so I don't know much about them. I've heard that they can be itchy and sometimes you smell. I don't know anything else though (other than garlic is a natural cure for it).

Anyone know what it might be? Should I talk to her doctor about it? She has a physical on Tuesday morning.

Asked by amethystrse at 8:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter used to have the same problem. I would use just a tiny dab of vagisil after I clean her.

If she had a yeast infection you would see a white discharge with no smell, it looks a little like cottage cheese. I don't think they would get one yet because they don't have the same hormones grown up women have. We get yeast infections due to the bacteria in our vaginas growing because we have taken antibiotics or just because. I can get them right before my period it depends, it's different with every individual.

Answer by Zooming at 8:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Yep it's possible you'll have to take her to the Dr to be sure.

My SON got an yeast infection in his diaper area (around his privates) when we was UNDER 1 year old...and DD has had an vaginal yeast infection as well this pass year. She just turn 6.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• absolutely possible. could be allergic to something the diaper is made of too. If you give her bubble baths the risk of UTI infection go up too. Might be time to call the pedi.

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Definitely! Boys and girls can get them.

Answer by tburnett1105 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• yes, absolutely. especially if she has recently taken augmentin. get some nystatin from the doctor. that stuff works miracles down there.

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• oh and you can feed her some yogurt. that's supposed to help.

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• yes talk to the doctor. i dont know if they can get yeast infections but maybe its the diaper or wipes or soap. they can get infections from wiping the wrong way

Answer by jaes347 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 1, 2008