Home Birth

If I were to hire a Labor Doula or a Midwife for my pre-natal care and to come to my home when I am in labor to deliver my baby, how much should it cost? I live in Georgia.

Do they take insurance?

EthansMommy109

Asked by EthansMommy109 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• depends. my insurance will not cover it (in kentucky). home birth midwives are not licensed here, and my insurance won't cover them. the cost varies big time too, imo, from like $1000 for everything to $4000 for everything. GL!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i'd call your insurance company and ask them
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 2:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• http://georgiamidwives.net/

I live in Georgia too and stumbled upon this website while looking for myself. Good luck to you!!
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Every place I have run into online doesn't have any information on insurance, but they do say they charge $475-$675 depending on the level of experience. I think when I go to the doctor next I will ask if I could hire a midwife with using my insurance and do a home birth...even though I doubt it'll happen lol, but it wont hurt to ask!
    Thank you ladies :)
    EthansMommy109

Comment by EthansMommy109 (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Doula's are rarely covered by insurance and aren't really care providers. They are labor support but aren't trained in emergency situations. So if you wanted a doula it would really be considered an unassisted birth.

A midwife can be covered by insurance depending on the midwife and the insurance. The best way to find out is to call around to the midwives in your area. It won't do you any good to ask your Dr. If anything they'll try scare tactics on you to discourage you from leaving their practice.

The cost of a midwife also varies by midwife, like a pp said $1000 to $4000. I paid 1,800 for my homebirth, that was not covered at all by insurance. But it was something that was very important to me so it was worth it.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 5:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010