How do you get that cat urine smell out of a rug?

kitty068

Asked by kitty068 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Pets

• vinegar!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I use cleaners with enzymes.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I had to get rid of my rugs. Nothing worked. I even had a special rug cleaner come out and do it. He cleaned them twice. As he pulled out of the driveway I threw my rugs away.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Nature's Miracle.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 1:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• vinegar works well, use with baking soda for even better results
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Get an enzymatic cleaner called Odor Mute. It's a powder you mix with water.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:58 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Vinegar is great on smells, especially in the laundry. However, for rugs/carpets, I'd recommend an enzymatic cleaner that will break down the components of the urine as it cleans. Most of these products do well getting all the way down to the carpet padding which is really important. Some great brands are Nature's Miracle (available at PetSmart), Equilizer (available at vets), or Urine-Off (available at vets, there is a feline specific formula of this).
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 12:32 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• I blot/pinch up the stain as much as possible using a towel that can be tossed away or tossed in the washer, since I can't toss couch cushions and rugs in the wash as easily. LOL I "water it down" by using club soda on the stain, and blot/pinch it up some more. Then I used vinegar w/ baking soda on the stain. Now that I've bought one of those little carpet scrubbers, I use it to finish off.

They key afterwords is to put some citrus scent (oil/heavy based, not aerosol/easy-evaporating stuff) on the stain while it's a little damp, but before it dries so that the scent remains. It's not so that your nose won't smell it anymore, it's because citrus acts as a repellent for cats. This will keep their nosy nose/rears from sniffing, scratching, and re-peeing on that spot.
    VexAzn

Answer by VexAzn at 1:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• burn it is all I know unless it was a female then vinegar may work
    madwoman41731

Answer by madwoman41731 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 12, 2010

• Anti Icky Poo I have had many rescue pets, and nothing has worked as well.
    schm0025

Answer by schm0025 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 12, 2010