at home perms?

yay or nay?
i wanted to get a perm done but dont really have the time to go to a salon.
can an at home perm work just as well?
is this something i can do on my own or will i need assistance?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 1:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• a good stylist with experience should only take about an hour and a half to do a full perm... (best bet is to check out salons with older clientele, they typically give out more perms and thus are faster and doing it. )

with a friend.. you are looking at an easy 3 hours (and that's if they know somewhat what they are doing)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• you will need help for sure and they work as well as the person helping you does. just remember not to shower (or wet your hair) for the recommended amount of time so it doesnt go flat, frizzy or fry
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My mother gave my sister one a long time ago (25 years). It damaged her hair so bad!! It was frizzy and her hair broke off. It changed her hair forever. When it came back in it was curly permanently, which was nice actually. But after that experience, I would not recommend that. She had to get a short hair cut.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• They can work just as well as the person helping you can! Just means, one or both of you have to know a little about putting them in, and should be able to look at the hair and determine when it is "done".
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• They can work ok, as long as you (or someone you know) knows how to properly roll the hair.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I have given home perms to my MIL many many yrs ago. If your able to read & know what your doing to some extent you'll be ok. Just do what the instructions say, don't go making changes for more this or less that, then it's no problem. Otherwise it's usually OK. I didn't know what I was doing the first time either. Good Luck,
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Id go to a salon. You dont want your hair to fall out!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If you have healthy hair and you follow the directions to a T, you should be okay for an at-home perm. Have a friend help you, or practice with your rods as many times as you can (especially with the back of your head!).
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 11:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I suggest a salon.. and here is why:

one: in the end it's going to be cheaper to just go and get it done after you get the proper products (clarifying shampoo, perm rods, end papers, caps, cotton strips, gloves, the kit, etc)

two: apply the rods properly.. if you don't know how to do it properly you'll end up with fish hooks which = a REALLY crappy frizzy and unmanageable perm (with constant snags and snarls), not to mention the possible breakage from applying too much tension, or the perm falling out from not properly playing the rods, to uneven curls.. I could go on with a list of complications.

as far as "time".. it's going to take you triple the time to do it at home, you are still going to need someone to help you apply the rods.. etc...

if money is an issue, try a beauty school.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:00 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• not only that but a stylist will know what type of perm to do (from a bricklay to hide rod placement, to spiral, to a basic or halo, etc). proper sectioning, to how to roll it, to how to do a test strand to see if you are done or not..

proper application of product to ensure even coverage.. how to use the neutralizer properly (if it's not done properly you could have a number of problems.. from product being left in the hair, to a wasted kit and no perm, to excessively damaged hair, etc).

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:03 AM on Aug. 11, 2010