Bringing a newborn home and toddler is jealous - help!

How long does the jealousy last? New baby is just a few days old, her big sister is 17 months and sad that we brought a new baby home. How long does this last? Weeks? Months? It breaks my heart to see my oldest so sad!

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I usually didn't have much of a problem. My firstborn understood SO much of what was going around. Be careful what you talk about around your toddler. Don't talk about how difficult it will be for the older child, how little time you will have with them, how hard it is, etc. Make sure you always talk positively about them and the new sibling. What a GREAT big sister she is going to be. How lucky the baby is to have her for a sister. How much of a help she can be to you. Let her hold the baby, bring you wipes, diapers, pacifiers, etc. When baby sleeps spend time with her. It's a great experience and will be so exciting for the new sister. Treat it like a great big adventure and she will be sure to follow your lead.

Congratulations!!!! I think the jealousy thing is a lot easier to deal with when they are so close together. My friends with siblings spaced farther dealt with it a lot more!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Never had the problem, mine were 14 months apart. just give her lots of attention and have her 'help' with her sister
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I am not sure how long that it is going to last, it will be an adjustment for your toddler to realize that she isn't the only "baby" in the house anymore. I dont't remember how long it lasted, but I know that my 15 month old at the time, had to adjust when we brought our newborn home. We just made sure that we gave the toddler as much one on one attention as possible, and tried to include him a lot of things with the newborn as well. (Such as "helping" change diapers, give bottles, etc)
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Ahh im about to have my 3rd and my youngest is gonna be 19 monthes when the new baby is born and I am sooo scared she is gonna be like that with the new baby because she still acts like a baby lol...
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I'm not there yet. I'm due in Oct with our second. Try to keep the oldest involved as much as possible. Pay as much attention to them as possible. GL mama.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 2:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Try to include her in as much as possible...diaper changes (have her hand you the diaper and then the wipe), feedings (if you aren't breastfeeding). That way she'll feel like the big sister and that she's helping. This helped alot with my oldest he was 2 and 1/2 when my second was born.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2010