Does this happen to you?

When I run I feel great and on about mile 8 I fell like someone took a hammer to my knees? I have a 1'/2 marathon in 2 weeks but I can only run 10 miles with out feeling liike crawling? Any tips on how to help my situation?

Thanks :)

kaleigh111

Asked by kaleigh111 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Health

• Have you had a physical recently or talked to a doctor about this? I ask because it sounds like you may have a slight tracking problem with your knee. Women, especially those who've had children, have a wider pelvis, which forces the femur (thigh bone) to angle slightly toard the knee and the tibia (shin) to angle away from the knee. So needless to say, many women runners experience pain in the knees. With every step, your kneecap is pulling slightly to the outside of your legs. Work on strengthening your quadriceps, hamstrings and inner thigh muscles, as these will stabalize your kneecaps. Make sure you wear proper footwear, and run on flat, soft surfaces. Also, run later in the day when the muscles I mentioned above are warmed up from the day's activities and at their best, rather than in the morning.
    Good luck!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Thank you!!! :)
    kaleigh111

Answer by kaleigh111 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2008