What are your expectations of an 18 year old that is NOT going to college and is living in your home?

Niki_sd

Asked by Niki_sd at 1:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Any lack of action on your part would be your fault. Although this is a common situation, you still have control. I graduated from college but college isn't for everyone. So, you have to sit down and have a deep hearted discussion as to what he/she wants to do in life. At 18, they change their mind just as much as a 5yr old trying to pick an ice cream flavor. However, any additional education would benefit your kid, so I would suggest enrolling them at a community college and be firm about your grade expectations. And getting a job should be a requirement as well. After they have a good dose of work, either delivering pizzas or a fast food place, they'll really appreciate what an education can do for them. Besides, you can a lot of money for the first two years at a community college and then transferring to a university of his/her choice! Now, go do the right thing!
    NikkiVan1

Answer by NikkiVan1 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would require that he get some kind of job and that he turn part of his pay-check over to me. You can then either use that money for food and utilities or you can put it in savings for him to have later. He cannot lie around the house, and he still has to abide by all the house rules. He is a guest there now, and he needs to be reminded of that fact on a regular basis. He also has to keep whatever part of the house he uses clean, just like he would if he lived somewhere else.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Get a job and pay your own way.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:38 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Either get a job and pay rent OR enroll in college now!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• to get a job and pay rent to the parents. To also follow the rules of the house and to pitch in around the house. If they do not like it they CAN always move out.....IJS
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My expectation would be to convince her to go to college and learn from the book of life, 18 is still young and inexperience in my book although she is of legal age. If she does get a job and starts making $ college will never come.

Answer by older at 1:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would definitely want them to go to college. That would be my major preference. But if they completely and totally refused, and could not be convinced otherwise, I would expect them to have a job, and contribute a set amount of money to the household every month. I would also expect for them to keep their room clean, and do other household chores.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree with everyone else. At 18, you need to start preparing (in the very least) to be independent and taking the steps to be your own provider, whether you choose to do that by going to college or focusing on your career. You're past the point of simply living off of others.

Plus, what does a person do with no job and no responsibility? Just sit around at home all day? What's the point in that?!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 1:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• to get (or keep a job) and pay his/her share of the bills!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No child should be forced to go to college. College is ONLY for people who have a passion in a craft or field that they want to expand on and one day make a career of. Otherwise college IS a waste of time and money. With that said, if she's still living at home and decided not to go to college, then she's going to get a job. She WILL pay a portion of the rent and utilities. No child past the age of 18 lives in my home for free. Period.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010