Baby wont hold his bottle???

My son will be a year old in a couple weeks and he still wont hold his own bottle, i don't know what to do!!! I bought him a sippy cup with handles but he thinks of it more as a chew toy and doesn't drink from it. Then i bought him a baby bottle with handles but it's got that really big nipple with the indention in the top so he wont drink from that either! Does any one know of any bottles with handles with regular nipples? Or somewhere i can buy universal adhesive handles that i can attach to any bottle? Or any techniques that i can use to just make him hold his own dang bottle?!!!! HELP!!!!!

Sparkle97

Asked by Sparkle97 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just kept putting my sons hands on it..lol..I would keep trying the sippy at his age since your probably going to transition him soon.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My daughter sometimes refuses to hold her own bottle as well. She will prop it up on the couch or coffee table, stand, and drink =).

In her case, it's a matter of pure laziness.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 1:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• If you are so determined to make him hold his own bottle then just stop holding it. he'll get the picture real fast. place his hands around it so he will do it himself. do lots of finger foods so he practises alot of hand to mouth. and about the sippy cup it took until i took the bottle away to for mine to start drinking from it....but remember in a couple weeks that bottle should be going bye bye anyway....start weening now.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 1:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• A lot of children chew on the sippy cup before they realize that it holds liquid inside. Also before they realize how to get that liquid out. It's important to keep giving it to them and let them figure it out. If you're constantly holding the bottle for your child, then they're not going to want to do it for themselves. If they know that you're going to do it, why should they do it? Don't hold it for him anymore, and tell him "If you want milk, you know where your bottle is". Set it down where he can reach it and let him at it. He'll get it when he's thirsty enough. Just stop holding it for him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My son didn't hold his bottle the entire time he was on it. At one year I took the bottles away completely and bought sippy cups. He wouldn't use the ones with handles but loved the Nuby cups with the gel straw. It took a little bit for him to realize there was milk or water in there to drink.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I would not worry about a baby not holding a bottle unless s/he cannot hold anything. My oldest was my only one to use a bottle, and he never held it on his own. He loved the cuddle of me feeding him on my lap.

It might take a while for him to get the hang of the sippy cup, but he will. All 3 of my kids played with them more at first. Now they are all happy, healthy kids who drink from regular cups, feed themselves, etc…

Remember that a 1 yr old is still very young. It seems that we are putting all sorts of "must do's" on very young kids. At some point we all need to relax and realize that even if he doesn't hold a bottle or sippy at a year it really isn't going to be a problem as it feels like at the moment.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• A bottle is an artificial substitute for the breast. Baby isn't supposed to hold it. Mom is supposed to hold baby and hold the bottle. Baby needs to learn to hold and use a cup when sitting and eating.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• what i did was i put a pillow or a blanket to hold up the bottle for him and eventually he learned that i wasnt going to hold it for him anymore and if it fell he would try and hold it...eventually they get the hang of it
    karlojs

Answer by karlojs at 3:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I agree with maggiemom.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Maybe he loves being held! I guess that I don't understand why this is a problem

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Aug. 11, 2010