how does this apply to todays world

"we are in a bad postion. we are the more obvious oppressors of the negro; but the unchristian prejudice of the north is an oppressor almost equally severe."
this quote is from the book, uncle toms cabin, my sister is doing school work and needs some help. thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in

• How doesn't it still apply?
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• First - LOVE that book! Everyone should read it.
    Secondly, I don't see how it doesn't still apply. I live in PA and we have (about 30 mins from me) the largest chapter of the KKK on the East Coast. While they may be less publicly active than groups in other areas, they make their presence known through "subtle" attacks. Personally, I would rather someone was open with their hate of me, than subtle... They both cause damage, but the quiet "under the cover of darkness" type of attacks don't just do physical or mental damage, but emotional as well and cause a huge fear issue which reverberates through generations and cultures...

Point is, there has always been a difference between the out loud and proud racism of the south and the quiet and hidden racism of the North... Neither have changed or gone away since those days...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:12 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Sabrina, you're no fun! ... giving them the answers the easy way. BOO!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Sorry, this is her homework...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2010