Does anyone else use a "stationary" carseat for their infant?

I dont want to use an infant carrier carseat. I have a carseat that is rear and forward facing. I want to use that with a head support insert for when baby is an infant. What im wondering is though, with my past deliveries before I got discharged from the hospital they wanted baby stapped into the carrier carseat in the room to go outside to the car. Iwant to use a sling. How would i find out about "policy" at this point so its not a problem during discharge?
PS I enjoyed using the sling with my youngest so much better than carring around that stupid carrier! yea it was alittle more work, but worth it.

Shani527

Asked by Shani527 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can have the convertible carseat installed in the car and take baby down to it. They will just check it to make sure baby fits ok and is properly restrained :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Just talk to the hospital and let them know what you have and what you are going to use. I'm sure there are exceptions to the "rule" if you are using that type of car seat.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I held my son and was wheeled out to the car where the car seat was already in the car.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• call the hospital and ask their policy.

we didn't have to bring the carseat to the room, just had to have it in the car.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We had to bring the car seat in so they could check the manufactured date & serial number - but just call your hospital to check.
    KatieBellsMom

Answer by KatieBellsMom at 2:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I had one of the carrier car seats, but we rarely used it as one. When I left the hospital I was holding DD bundled in a blanket as they wheeled me out to the car. They didn't actually check the car seat at all (though I'm sure the orderly probably would have said something if we didn't have a seat for her in the car).
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We had a convertible car seat installed in the car and we just went out to the car with the baby. You should no have to have a removable infant seat to take baby home, and they should not make you take out an installed convertible seat. Just tell them that if they want to see baby strapped in they will need to come out to the car!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• They can't make you remove the car seat, since it would be a safety issue (taking out and putting back in a convertable car seat is NOT the best practice). They can come out and make sure it's okay. We'll be doing this too, I'm not a fan of infant car seats.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 4:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2010