Coffee and Breastfeeding

Do any moms breastfeed and drink a little coffee in the morning? Does it affect your baby in any way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfeed and have coffee in the morning and it dosent affect my baby at all, I need my morning brew!
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 11:09 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I drink coffee all the time.....I'm lucky though. My caffiene intake doesn't keep her awake.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• i drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning it makes my son cranky b/c he'll get tired but cant fall to sleep.
    i drank 2 cups at 4 pm once and he was up till11pm then woke up on and off threw the night
    and he goes to bed every night at 9 and only wakes up at 4 or 5 (completely by his own choice.)
    my son is 2months old
    Autumnleaves09

Answer by Autumnleaves09 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• in one of my books it says that if you need caffeine in the morning for a pick me up, to drink it right after you breastfeed, cause the next time you nurse, it only has a trace of caffeine in it..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:29 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Some doctors will tell you that while you breatfeed that you do not drink stuff like coffee and sodas. The reason being is that it will go into the breast milk and into your baby. some babies can not handle that much caffieen and could over work there heart and other stuff.
    But I would ask your doctor about this as well. I am just saying what my doctor told me.
    Kanami

Answer by Kanami at 1:10 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I drank coffee and breastfed and my daughter is almost 3 now and totally normal. It never bothered her as a baby either. But every kid is different so if it seems to bother yours then stop, if not then enjoy.
    maddysmomma

Answer by maddysmomma at 1:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I started drinking coffee again when I had to go back to work and my son was about 2 months! (I had quit during my pregnancy). I didn't think it effected him but my husband said he was crankier than usual. My hubby would say that though because he doesn't like coffee and thinks that everything i take will effect our son as it effect me! Anyways, I did some research and it said that it effects all babies differently but generally 6-8 cups of joe is the point where it really effects! and it lasts in the blood stream for about 72 hours (though strongest after 1 hour!) So basically, less than 8 cups in 3 days is ok, depending! I only have 1 to 2 cups a day and my son sleeps fine! If it DOES effect your little one, nap times will be shorter, it will effect his deep sleep and irritability!
    Sorry DH, i gotta have my coffee!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 1:37 PM on Oct. 6, 2008