Kindergarten!!??!!

So my 5yr. old is starting kindergarten this year. I am excited and apprehensive. Anyone else have these mixed feelings?

KandDsmama1

Asked by KandDsmama1 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I cried when each of my children started to school. I enjoyed having them home with me too much to want to send them off somewhere else.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:20 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• when My oldest started Kindergarten...I was a wreck. I knew he would have fun and LOVE it....I stayed by the phone for the first 2 weeks of school...just in case the school needed my help/input....LOL
    My youngest.... we were both fine, no worries in fact he was outside 30 minutes BEFORE the bus was supposed to be there.....
    Its okay Momma the teachers know what they are doing, your child will be fine. You may want to volunteer as a classroom mom it may make you feel better to see your child in the classroom
    G/L remember its an adventure!!!
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 2:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Ohh I was so nervous!! I was very shy when I was in school, and cried almost every day of kindergarten. My DD is in first grade now and made SO many friends in kindergarten! I'm so proud that she's nothing like me when it comes to making friends!! Just take lots of pictures and remember the day, try not to let your mixed feelings out to your child so that he/she doesn't start to be worried too!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I am very nervous. I cried when my older daughter started kindergarten, and I have no doubt I'll cry tomorrow when my younger daughter starts her first day. The difference in this case, though, is that my younger daughter has autism and will be attending a different school than my older daughter. She'll be riding a bus, whereas we are able to walk our older daughter to school. I'm also afraid that I've made some big mistakes with her IEP (Individualized Education Plan) and have placed her in a class that isn't a good fit for her. Those aren't butterflies fluttering in my stomach, they are raptors.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I always did. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No, not really. I was excited for her, yes, but she was clearly ready so there was no need for apprehension. I was really happy for her to be enjoying this milestone.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I did! But now, they are going into 3rd and 2nd grades and I am looking forward to school starting again! It is harder to keep them entertained all day when they are used to being busy at school!

Enjoy a little free time :)
    TJandKarasMom

Answer by TJandKarasMom at 8:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I was exited...They started 3 weeks ago but she is my second and with my first I was nervous and anxious! I did not want him to go..I did not want to let my baby go to big boy school. he loved it:) Mommy adapted too! LOL It will be ok just make starting fun and it will be a blast. I now have a kinder and 2nd grader:)
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• No because my 5 year old has been to many daycares and preschools, so I know she'll do fine. Just take a deep breath and let her go, she will be okay.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• OMG YES. I have a 5 year old too that's starting this year. For the first time ever I'll be alone with his baby sister all day and the house will be too quiet! I'm excited that he will be learning to read and write this year. He is already very intelligent, can read numbers all the way to 100! I'm nervous about his shyness at school and hundreds of other things but I'm just going to stick it out and make the best of it! I don't show my son that I'm nervous. Parents are allowed to eat luch with their child so I told him we could do that every now and then. That helped make his day! He's so excited about that lol. Plus I plan to chaperone all his field trips and help out when I can in his class with different things. He loves learning new things and impressing us so I imagine school will be fun for him!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:58 AM on Aug. 11, 2010