What is the First Lady's job?

According to the WH website:
"the first lady is still a role model for American women. One of the highest-profile jobs in the U.S. government comes with no official duties, no paycheck, and almost limitless possibilities. The first lady can influence the president and can even exercise a degree of political power over policy and legislation. "
"The first ladies’ travels, their causes, and activities are newsworthy events in the United States. Because of their relation to the president, they are political celebrities and have been able from earliest times to use their position to influence styles and advocate for social and political causes."

Does the First Lady have a duty to represent the nation in a responsible manner, or should she be allowed to say and do whatever she wants regardless of the consequences?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• to go on expensive vacations (JK LOL)
    CarolHealy

Answer by CarolHealy at 2:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Responsible manner. However, I disagree that the vacation was irresponsible.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• What are you asking? Is it okay if we have a whacky first lady? It so would be fun to have Phyllis Diller in there. LOL or some one silly like Ellen Degenerous. Of course she is gay. But I guess you see what I am saying.
    I am married to a man--and he is no where as influential as the president. He is so worried about appearances
    that he kicks me under the table to get me to stop when I am on a tangent. I think he would die if he was president. I mean literally pass out. Oy! I guess what I am saying is she has a platform, however she needs to stand tall by her man.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• The Office of the First Lady of the United States is accountable to the First Lady for her to carry out her duties as hostess of the White House, and is also in charge of all social and ceremonial events of the White House. The First Lady has her own staff that includes a Chief of Staff, press secretary, White House Social Secretary, Chief Floral Designer, etc. The Office of the First Lady is an entity of the White House Office, a branch of the Executive Office of the President.
    The position of the First Lady is not an elected one, carries no official duties, and receives no salary. Nonetheless, first ladies have held a highly visible position in U.S. government. The role of the first lady has evolved over the centuries. She is, first and foremost, the hostess of the White House. She organizes and attends official ceremonies and functions of state either along with, or in place of, the president.
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes she should. However that does not mean giving up her personal style, and doing things she would probably had done even if her dh was not pres. That includes vacations. She deserves me time to. I with I could, but except I do not have the money. However even if not in the WH she would. So it isn't that bad. Plus she either has or is paying for it. The only thing we paid for is security which we have to no matter where she goes.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• To me her job is to support her husband and to show the women of this country that the woman is still the backbone of the nation that is still technically ran by men...

On the lighter side of things, she is there to give her a massage and bj when he notices that he aging rapidly due to the stress of running a country and to withhold sex when he makes stupid decisions that make us look like we are headed toward communism...

And she like every other wife and mother, needs a vacation to get away froma husband that expects her to be at his beck and call and cater to all his needs.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Responsible manner YES ! And I agree with the other poster, taking vacations is not irresponsible. It's deserved !!!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I agree 100%
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Does the First Lady have a duty to represent the nation in a responsible manner, or should she be allowed to say and do whatever she wants regardless of the consequences?

***
    In First Lady tradition, they represent their husbands and therefore represent their home countries!! But, seeing as our current administration is all about "change," what once was a revered and classy tradition, has fallen by the wayside, in order to mirror the unfortunate current American climate of "If it feels good, do it. And to Hell with the repercussions!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Does the First Lady have a duty to represent the nation in a responsible manner, Yes, and she does

or should she be allowed to say and do whatever she wants regardless of the consequences? yes as well...we are a free country correct?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010