How do you handle a child lying?

Your child or anyone elses'. Do you think that children go through a phase in which they lie or start to lie? If so how long does this last? How do you brake said child of lying? What do you do? What punishment is sufficient and what is going too far with punishment for lying? How do you rectify the situation at hand?
*theoretical question*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mother put soap in our mouths if we lied to her, and went to the other parents house to tell on their child lying to her. It seems to be a stage with kids who dont have parents who are firm and set boundarys Your kids ARE a direct reflection of the morals, standards and rules YOU teach them or dont teach them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My daughter lied for a while--my other two kids did not go through this stage. So with the one who did lie, I simply explained to her over and over again that I could not believe what she said. It was hard--she got hurt feelings. I guess she finally got the point. She did stop eventually.
    She is a 18 now and going off to college. Sometimes she lies to me and I look at her and say "don't even try it".. Then she smiles and tells the truth. It is sort of funny. She can't even lie to save her life now.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My son tries to lie but I have convinced him that I have eyes in the back of my head and he somehow thinks I am psychic,lol. The truth is..I've had so much experience dealing with his father lying while we were married..I am a lie detection expert...and my son looks and acts just like his dad..so its like, I already know how to tell if he's lying.More so..I know how to tell when he's telling the truth.Learn about your child, sit back and study thier actions, facial expressions, how they react to certain things.Before accusing, always give them enough rope to hang themselves...because a lot of times when you give them the opportunity to speak,uninterrupted...you can see through thier lies as if it were a piece of lace.Kids tend to embellish stories, they are so far out, you know thier not telling the truth and they are amazed when you call them on it,lol. Good Luck :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My DD went through a stage like that when she was 8-9. It was frustrating. What I did was tell her that I expect her to tell me the truth, and that the punishment for lying will be worse than any punishment she'd get for just telling me what happened. I caught her in a few lies, and her punishments were brutal (for us; no tv/video games for 3 weeks, etc.) It only took a few times of her getting caught to realize that I wasn't playing - I think she's honest with me for the most part now.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:07 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My DD tries to lie. key word. . . TRIES. . . I see right through it. Not many people can or will lie to me. . . I have a tendency to be able to tell when anyone is lying. I always call my DD on it too. I want her to know out right that I am aware of the lie. And I want her to be aware of the consequences. *the level of the lie decides the consequence* It is frustrating. She never did this until this year and she is 7. UGH! I guess she is just trying to test her limits and boundaries. Most kids go through a stage like this at some point, with acting out and or lying. I just thought it was a teen thing. . .lol ;) but she is 7 going on 17. At least she knows that I know and can tell when she is lying. To me that is the BIG one. . .making sure they know you know and there by can't get away with it. *Mommy knows all ;)*
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010