What do you think of a dash cam required inside each vehicle?

California Lawmakers are considering controversial new legislation this week that would allow vehicles to be equipped with dashboard cameras to record the moments leading up to accidents.

The proposed law, AB1942, would promote safer driving habits and reduce accidents by permitting video recorders to be installed on the windshield.

The bill currently allows devices to record video, audio, how fast and which direction the vehicle is traveling, a history of where your car has been, steering and brake performance and seat belt usage.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Big Brother is watching!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2010

• HELL NO!!!

I wish people would stop legistlating what I can and can't do inside my own car. My car is my own private space - the government can stay the hell out of it
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 2:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• The bill currently allows devices to record video, audio, how fast and which direction the vehicle is traveling, a history of where your car has been, steering and brake performance and seat belt usage.

***
    Ummmm.....NOOOOO!!! Because, if you really think this bill is ONLY about protecting driver's, you're kidding yourselves!! Don;t you think environmentalists will use the information gathered--especially the part about the "history of where your car has been" and mileage, to...oh, I dunno....increase your taxes via insurance premiums, additional surcharges added for high mileage when you get your vehicle serviced, or some other means of reporting?!

CONTROL is what this bill is all about!! Please, read between the lines!!! Think "big picture" and how NOTHING Congress produces is as simple and straightforward as they would have you believe!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think that's when I move.

I think that citizens are to be "secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized"
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:35 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• OMFG! They just get more and more retarded. Something along the lines of 'He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.'

I'm right there with you Maureen-MD and autodidact!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I also want to know WHO is going to pay for the installation, the monitoring, where this information is going to be stored, WHO is going to have access to it - freedom of information act is screaming in my mind, and WHO is going to pay for the updates, upgrades and fixes?

California is already in one of the WORST economic postions in the country and this is a HUGE expense and totally unnecessary. I am totally picturing kids having sex in view of the camera just because they can.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 2:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• HELL NO!!!! Invasion of privacy!! That is overreaching government.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:39 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Kirs...isn't that why most people believe in "god"? Why the hell do we need the government doing it too? Anyone that needs "OMG they'll see me do it" as a reason not to do bad things... well that's just fucked up.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 2:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It's an incredible violation of privacy. I sincerely hope that this bill doesn't get too far - talk about big brother!!! What happens if this passes? It can be used as a benchmark case to allow even further violations.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• It's probably alright with/for Californians, you know, but a bit radical for the rest of the country.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 2:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010