Do all wives represent their husbands?

Do you feel certain careers or community roles require the husband, wife and entire family to be looked under a microscope?

Are they justified?

Do your choices impact your husband's career or role in the community?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, they do!! And in the Michelle Obama vacation "facts" thread, I said the same thing!!

Here's what I said in that post quoting DD, shortly before it was closed:

"Actually, yes I do, as my husband does for me! We represent each others morals and values!! We are a TEAM, and we compliment one another!! We carry ourselves with class and dignity, and we are recognizable and respected members of our community!! It wouldn't look too good for my husband if I were out getting wasted at some bar or nightclub while he was carrying on a public affair, now would it?!"
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:43 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think so too. How I behave and act reflect on my husband and vice versa. But there are certian leadership positions where they may be even more under the microscope.... for instance the pastor, or a leader, of a church. Or a political leader.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Both urkidding and Precious have said it well. I think many career fields involve the entire family being watched closely. I agree with politicians, public officials, church leaders, and even as a military spouse, I feel confident in saying that many military families are watched closely within the military community.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes they do. The degree vary those with position imo. My dh is a higher ranking military officer and has a command position. I am very involved in politics, but I have to be careful of appearances. That is one of the reasons I like forums like this..I can say exactly what is on my mind.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Well, when they have the company picnic for dh's work, I get all done up, make my kids look nice, and make it a point to chat with everyone that he works with, the higher ups, and on the way out, we thank them all.

Of course we represent them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Of course they do, and vice versa. That is the deal when you get married. Of course I have my own opinions and actions and he has his, but they reflect on each other.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:37 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• We represent each others morals and values!! We are a TEAM, and we compliment one another!!

good

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• OK here is an example. If the CEO of a company is trying to cut back in the company but his wife takes their kids to France are you going to get all pissy about it
    _______________________________

Were you not around for the recent outcries about almost that exact thing? Companies bailed out and still spending money lavishly? Ring a bell?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• They do, but I don't think they should. Personally when looking at someone for a job or position I don't care what their other half is like or what they think... I'm not hiring or promoting them...

My DH and I are complete opposites! Classic case! If you were basing your feeling of one on the other, neither of us would ever make it anywhere...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Wow really stop reading soo much into things or making mountins from molehills. If you cut back in your company your wife should still be able to take your kids on a nice vacation

Any of it on the company's dime? At a time of economic challenges when the company has cut back?  Inappropriate.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2010