Do YOU think this is RUDE??? Am I over reacting?

A friend's daughter turns 2 on Saturday and she just sent a TEXT MESSAGE invitation to the little girl's birthday party. I am not sure what to think of this. It seems a little rude to me. I have unlimmited text messaging but what about the people that don't? She just basically spent her GUEST's money by sending the invite through text message.

She told me a week ago that she didn't know if she would have enough money to buy the invites because she had to have cigarette money. I was annoyed then but didn't think she would be so lazy to just send it via text message.

AM I OVER REACTING? What you YOU think about TEXT MESSAGE INVITES to a 2 year old's birthday party?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think it is a sign of the times. Lots of people with cell phones and text messaging are incredibly rude all the time. Talking in the store, in a restaurant. Texting while standing and talking to someone else. A text comes in and they jump to read it. To me..all those things are rude. An invite to a child B-day party via text, yeah it's rude, at least to me it is.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:06 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• i think it's weird but I hate to text :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I just find it odd. I mean if it had to do with the theme of the party like a text message scavenger hunt or something but at a 2 year olds birthday party??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Well, if it's a small get together and just a few family and friends I dont think it's a big deal. If it's somewhat formal that's rude.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 11:33 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I don't think there's any thing wrong with it. Why spend big bucks on cute little invites just to have them tossed in the trash after everyone RSVPs? Personally I don't have a cell... We did invites to our son's 2nd B-Day via MySpace.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• I have actually received text message invitations, a really good friend of mine did it because she would rather text then talk on the phone.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• It just seems so impersonal! If you can't afford invites you can make them. If you can't afford stamps you can hand them out. I wouldn't expect someone to show up to my daughter's birthday party if I did something so inappropriate!!
    Anonymous

• I think it might be just a little over reacting about it. some people don't even have a cell phone( sadly I know people who do not own one). Its lazy to do it over by text message I think. Instead of worrying of not being able to buy cards one can make cards there less expensive and easy to do!
    About what other people pay for getting a text message can go from 50 cents to a little over a dollar. so its not like $10 or $20 bucks for a text message.
    Kanami

Answer by Kanami at 1:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2008

• if smoking is more important then the kids b-day, well, I feel for the kid. i wouldnt call it "rude" so much as "tacky".
    Anonymous

• Okay, rude isn't the word I would use. Ignorant probably is a little closer. You are obviously expected to bring a gift. And use your 3.50 a gallon gas to go to the party. It is disrepectful no matter what age group, social circle or economic background you are in. A phone call would have even been a little more appropriate. A simple "Hey, we are just having a little informal cake and ice cream party, can you please come" wouldn't have even ruffled my feathers. I am with you. You can buy a box of 20 invites and the stamps for them for the price of a pack of cigs I believe. Hopefully this person will think twice next time. Hopefully a family member or close friend will bring this to her attention.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 1:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2008