Any tips for putting a 41/2 year old on the school bus for the first time by herself.

I am kinda nervous about putting my little girl on the bus for the first time to go to 4K. Any tips on how you have handled it would be great.

Trinitysmom1205

Asked by Trinitysmom1205 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in

• I put my son on a bus for the first time when he was 3. He loved it! When they are that little there is usually a chaperone on the bus and the kids have a harness so they can't get up and wander. It'll be harder on you than on her. I think I paced for 3 straight hours the first day my son took the bus.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:42 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Yes, follow the bus! JK....It's just so hard, but, more on us than them. Even though it will in all likelihood be emotional for you, just let her know how proud you are of her that she is a big girl going off to school on the bus. In truth, when I first tried to put my son on the bus when he was going off to kindergarten many years ago, he wouldn't get on the bus. After many attempts, the bus driver and I realized that the child was not going to get on without me so, I drove him to school for a while until he announced that he was a big boy and ready to ride the bus.
    apaxton

Answer by apaxton at 3:08 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• don't let her see you cry!!!
    try to not pass on your nervousness to her.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• My kids didn't ride a bus until they entered kindergarten at 5 yrs old. They were kind of excited to ride the bus. I waited with them until they got on & took pictures the first day. The driver makes the younger kids sit in the first few rows of the bus which put me more at ease. I didn't want my young kids sitting with middle/high schoolers. If your child is nervous, just try to make it sound exciting to ride the bus & make a big deal of it by taking pictures or a video. If your nervous, just know you are not alone; all parents probably feel this way. It does get easier over time. Good luck!
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 11, 2010