How do I break an attachment to a blanket?

My 19 month old uses a certain blanket as her pacifier. She literally sucks on it to go to sleep. She has done this since she was an infant. It's disgusting, the blanket stinks and it doesn't matter how much I wash it. I know it has got to be full of germs but she absolutely will not go to sleep without it. I don't know what to do! Any suggestions??

mommy2hallie07

Asked by mommy2hallie07 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to get rid of the stink and germs wash it in vinegar
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2008

• Try washing it in vinegar or with fabreze to get rid of the smell.
    Use oxyclean to get stains out.

Other than that, you can try to get her to latch on to something else but you probably won't have any luck. You can "lose" it and deal with several days of screaming and no sleep - offer something else during that time. If you try this, use something you can buy another one or two of if it works. If it does work - go get one or two more so you can rotate them in the wash.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2008