Do you think its important to understand what your husband does at work?

My husband is an officer in the Army and has a fairly technical job but I do my best to understand what it is that he does in order to support him. I like being able to have an intelligent conversation with him about his job.
Anybody else think this is important?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 2:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't think so. As long as he's bringing home a pay check, I don't really need to understand how...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Of course. Its something he takes pride in.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I think it is very important! I like you, want to be able to carry on an intelligent conversation with my husband about his work, the same as he does with me!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• yeah, and I'm in the same boat as you. My husband use to work a few blocks from me and I use to be able to visit him almost daily. Now he has a new job, well he's been there for a year now, and its further away. I was so happy to be able to come to his work one day He tells me about his job all the time and tries to explain things the best he can, and talk to me about the people he works with... I forget names easily too. He has even sent me a video showing me what he does at his work. So, I try my best, I love to hear about what he spends most of his day doing :), even if it can be hard to understand at times.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't think you need to understand it verbatim, but you can show a little interest in it. I mean, you shouldn't expect to know how to do what he does just from him telling you. My DH would tell me what he did at his job (and when I visited him at work, I would watch him), but I wouldn't have had a clue about what to do without some training first. Same goes for him knowing about my job.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't think that it's important to understand his job, but it's important to listen about his job since it means something to him.

My SO is a network admin. I don't understand half of what he says but I listen as if my world depends on it because what he says is important to me. I ask questions about some things but he doesn't expect for me to do his job.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Extremly important! Especially that he is in the service, as you know those men are very prideful about their work.. my dad til this day talks about stuff he did and seen when he was in vietnam... Just keep in mind no matter how much you try to understand what goes on, you will never fully understand men in the service.
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• i know my dh dispenses drugs..basically. i know that when he says, ''we're up 33 'scripts' from last year'' it means at that moment, he's filled 33 more prescriptions THAT day than the pharmacy did that same day last year. i know he has paperwork to do before/after the store opens/closes (fill insurances, call drs offices, etc), it means he's going in earlier or coming home a bit later than normal.
    the whole business-end is boring to me..i'm not a numbers-gal..but if business is good, that means he's working/bringing home a paycheck..so its all good! plus, he likes 'knowing' that i understand/care about his profession. it's fulfilling to him, as a person, and to him, as a husband, to know i'm interested.
    its not important how far my interest goes, just that there is 'some'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• I don't think you need to understand everything but taking an interest and knowing generally what he does is important. My hubby works in software and I don't always understand exactly what he's talking about half the time since I know next to nothing about programming but I always know what project he's working on and who he's working with.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2010

• Haha @ Sabrina!

I know the gist of what my husband does but I don't know the details and I don't need to. I listen to him talk about it and support him 100% and I think that is good enough. He has such a complicated job that it would be difficult and boring for me to understand it all...
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:00 PM on Aug. 10, 2010